Fireplace in the kitchen

frash

I'm planning on putting on a 40 sq m extension in the Spring.

The obvious lace for the kitchen (due to natural light) is in the current dining room. This room however has a chimney in it & I'd be reluctant to get rid of it.
Has anyone ever seen a fireplace in a kitchen or is something like an Aga my only option?

Thanks

It wouldnt be that difficult to close up the fireplace if you weren't happy with it. I did the same in my house recently and put a Stanley Range style cooker in it's place.

A friend put a fireplace in her the kitchen of her new house.
I wish I had thought of it. It is lovely. It is the place every one sits, out of her way, not around the table. Her kitchen is lovely and warm especially in the mornings. As for the mess of open fires, thats just the price you have to pay for the pleasure.

I saw an Architects house in some magazine, awful place - lots of guff about "spaces relating to each other", all slit windows and horrible hard orange chairs which he had specially commissioned to match some dreadful painting he had. But the piece de resistance was the stack of briquettes " to introduce an organic element". Now how more organic is the sight of an orange flame, a smell of wood burning, the feel of a warm fire, the sound of the crackling fire ( and maybe the taste of the smoke from the odd downdraught!!! ).

If you don't want the open fire, maybe one of the Stanley Stoves, with the glass door might be the thing. My mother has one and when it is lit it is so nice to look that you wouldn't mind if there was no heat atall from it.

I've certainly seen plenty of houses, both old and newer, that have fireplaces in the kitchen and I loved the look of it. Down to you whether you leave it open with facility for an open fire, leave it open but just put a display in there (you know the type, candle arrangement, flame effect insert with stones etc), or a wood/coalburning stove or aga. Personally speaking I love wood burning stoves in kitchens, or open fires, rather than an aga.

Thanks for all the replies - sorry but I haven't been on since I posted.

I can picture a fire in a country style kitchen alright but we were planning on a fairly modern kitchen so not sure how the fire would sit with that.

If anyone comes accross any pictures could them send them on to me?

Thanks

I've certainly seen plenty of houses, both old and newer, that have fireplaces in the kitchen and I loved the look of it.

Sounds very nice - I am warming to the idea.
Plan on doing a kitchen extension in the next year or so.

Its at the back of the house and would be a room away from where the chimney is.
Do you have to link into the existing chimney?
How would you do that?

Or are you able to have one at ground floor level?
I would imagine not due to smoke that could get into upstairs rooms.
Any thoughts?

Am currently about to start a new build. Kitchen/dining/living area all open plan, area about 9metresX9 metres.
using underfloor heating as main heat source.
currently have a double chimney between the living room and sitting room.
Whilst i want to keep the chimney in the sitting room, am wondering about putting a chimney in the kitchen/dining/living area.
With the underfloor heating am wondering will heat not escape out through the chimney.
Know long term could put a stove in the chimney but wondering would the underfloor not keep this area warm enough and therefore wouldnt need to plan for a chimney at all in this area?

Back