Finland's Unorthodox Education System

Where is the anti-teacher sentiment on this thread ?

Most posters are attacking the system, not the teachers per se.

Lets look at the facts, rather than the usual spin from the public sector unions.

[broken link removed]

Between 2006 and 2009 Ireland dropped from 5th to 17th place for reading literacy, from 16th to 25th place for mathematical literacy.

Our ranking in science is just 20th out of 65 participating Countries.

The teaching unions, like so many of their public sector brethren, are jealously defending their generous salaries, perks and pensions while future generations will be left to pick up the tab.

Its a disgrace

Quinn's stated desire to wipe out rural Protestant schools is probably the worst example.
I don't think a proposal to remove a subsidy based on religious belief equates to a 'stated desire to wipe out'. There should be no special deals for schools based on their religious ethos.

http://www.salon.com/2011/07/18/tony_wagner_finland/

What has Finland achieved, and what’s the history behind its improved education system?
In the early 1970s, Finland had an under performing education system and a pretty poor agrarian economy based on one product — trees, and they were chopping them down at a rapid rate that wasn’t going to get them very far. So they knew they had to completely revamp their education system in order to create a true knowledge-based economy.
So they began in the 1970s by completely transforming the preparation and selection of future teachers. That was a very important fundamental reform because it enabled them to have a much higher level of professionalism among teachers. Every teacher got a masters degree, and every teacher got the very same high quality level of preparation.
So what has happened since is that teaching has become the most highly esteemed profession. Not the highest paid, but the most highly esteemed. Only one out of every 10 people who apply to become teachers will ultimately make it to the classroom. The consequence has been that Finland’s performance on international assessments, called PISA, have consistently outranked every other western country, and really there are only a handful of eastern countries that are educating with the same results.

It is interesting that going back a generation or two the "school master" in Ireland enjoyed high level of esteem in the community. Over the last few decades or so we seem to have gone down the US route of constant denigration of the profession or the English (but not Scottish) route of blatant ideological tinkering (from both the left and right).

I would rather an education system driven by education professionals rather than political ideologues or ignorant journalists.

I would rather an education system driven by education professionals rather than political ideologues or ignorant journalists.

I would rather an education system driven by the needs of the child and of the wider economy, rather than the avarice of the teachers unions.

The role of the teachers unions in Finland is interesting:

What follows is an interview with Finland's Minister of Education Ms. ,.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/justin-snider/keys-to-finnish-education_b_836802.html

The Hechinger Report: What roles do teacher unions play in Finland?
Virkkunen: It's a totally different situation in Finland. For me, as Minister of Education, our teachers' union has been one of the main partners because we have the same goal: we all want to ensure that the quality of education is good and we are working very much together with the union. Nearly every week we are in discussions with them. They are very powerful in Finland. Nearly all of the teachers are members. I think we don't have big differences in our thinking. They are very good partners for us.

It's really important to pay attention to teacher training, in-service training and working conditions. Of course, the teachers always say we also have to pay attention to their salaries. But in Finland, it seems that the salaries are not the main reason it's an attractive profession. Teachers aren't very badly paid. They earn the average if you look at other academic professions.
and from another article:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/c-m-rubin/finland-education_b_868781.html

Global competitiveness requires that all students develop competencies for life and work, not just some students. Therefore, a country's educational system must be equitable, accessible, and flexible. Cooperation, not competition, is a principal pillar of educational system success. Also essential is a tremendous investment in teaching quality. But beware of standardized testing, as it will undermine the achievement of these objectives.

Back