Fingal CC, Affordable Housing & Solicitors

J

JoeOD

Hi all,
I am currently getting final loan approval for affordable housing from Fingal County Council.
As part of this process, FCC have told me they a ‘free’ solicitor available for successful applicants for the affordable housing scheme (i.e. the solicitors fees are inclusive in the sale price). I have a few queries on this:

Do any of you have any experience of using FCC’s solicitor?
What are the pitfalls of using a Council-appointed solicitor instead of an independent one?
Are the benefits of appointing an independent solicitor worth the extra €2,000 + that I’d probably have to spend??

I’m finding it tricky enough trying to cobble together a decent sized deposit, so I’d be delighted to save a few grand on legal fees. On the other hand, would somebody like myself – who knows next to nothing about the legal aspect of the property market – be better off getting the services of a 3rd party??

I haven't taken part in the AH scheme so unfortunately I can't say one way or the other, but I would imagine that these AH contracts are pretty standard. In other words, there's not much that an independent solicitor would add to the equation. However, maybe someone with better experience in the matter may be able to list some advantages?

Hi Joe,

Just to let you know I'm in the same boat and I decided to go with their solicitor. I haven't had any dealings with their solicitor yet because I'm not at that stage (soon will be though!!) but I had a think about it and as Buttermilk says, these contracts are bound to be standard.

Also, the council is out to help us, not out to get us or con us in anyway. I also need the money for the deposit and I was actually worrying about how I would get the money together for a solicitor too. When I heard it came as part of the price I decided to go with it. The scheme is all about being 'affordable' after all. I asked some friends and family for advice. They said they would normally advise engaging your own solicitor, but in this case it's different.

That's my twopence worth anyhow, good luck with whatever you decide and in your new home :)

yep we be in the same boat and have decided to go with Fingal's solicitor. I rang a solicitor and they said they never see contracts coming through from fingal and said there was prob no point in getting them to see it. Fingal wont change anything on the contract anyway, even if you have a problem with it so basically its just to have someone explain it to you in plain english.

That's definitely reassuring! Sounds like we're going through the same thing at the same time. Be sure to post if you've any news :)

Yes I have decided I will defo use their solicitor too. (shortly too!!) I know people who have done so in the past and had no probs..theres nothing much, once you know about clawback etc...its just to explain to you the terms and conditions in plain english...as a previous poster said, its unlikely a local authority would be out to con you so enjoy. Good luck with it all when time comes!

Hi,
I used the Fingal solicitor about 18 mths ago when I bought mine through AH and I agree with above posts. I really don't think there's anything in the documents that Fingal coco would change anyway, so I've had no problems as yet.

It would be interesting to hear from someone who used the Co co solicitor and has since sold their AH..? are there any 'hidden' implications when you sell it or whatever?

Well done to OP!

Back