Financial advice for moving on from Rented Property

Danielle24

Hi,

Looking for some advice on what I need to pay when leaving my rental property.

Try to keep it brief:

I was giving a rental price to pay when I moved in that included my cable. Rent has been reduced and cable was recently cut off, text landlady and she said that the direct debit didn't go out as was an old account and that she couldn't justify paying after rent being reduced and myself and housemate should sort it amongst ourselves. I might add the rent was reduced by 35e and the sky is 30e. So basically if I agree to sort out the sky then she reduced my rent by 5e.

So couple of questions:

1. Am I obliged to pay anything towards the cable seen as it's been cancelled and in her name?

2. The TV licence for the year coming has to be paid by 31st of this month, if I move out in September do I have to pay towards this?

3. My rent would reach the landladys account on the 24th or so of the month, I transfer it around the 19th/20th. As the rent went in yesterday or so if I gave my notice today would I need to pay anymore rent if I move this time next month?

4. If I don't pay towards any of the above would she have grounds to withold my deposit?

1. No.
2. Yes, but - once it lapses you'll get a letter in the post asking you to renew. It's doubtful that an inspector will call out immediately. However you can eliminate that risk by simply renewing it and transferring it to your new home by calling into the post office with evidence.
3. This is covered by legislation. If you do not have a lease and are there less than 6 months, you must give 28 days notice. If you do not have a lease and have been there more than 6 months, you must give 36 days notice. If you do have a lease, the terms of the lease apply.
4. Only #3.

1. No.
2. Yes, but - once it lapses you'll get a letter in the post asking you to renew. It's doubtful that an inspector will call out immediately. However you can eliminate that risk by simply renewing it and transferring it to your new home by calling into the post office with evidence.
3. This is covered by legislation. If you do not have a lease and are there less than 6 months, you must give 28 days notice. If you do not have a lease and have been there more than 6 months, you must give 36 days notice. If you do have a lease, the terms of the lease apply.
4. Only #3.

2. The TV license is not in my name.

3. No lease have given 28 days should I be okay?

3. No lease have given 28 days should I be okay?
From the Residential Tenancies Act:

Less than 6 months

28 days

6 or more months but less than 1 year

35 days

1 year or more but less than 2 years

42 days

2 or more years

56 days

EDIT: This is assuming the landlord is aware of the relevant act. A lot of them are not and 1 month will usually do for them.

Back