Fiancée with a negative equity mortgage

Gushering

So I'm getting married next year to my fiancée.

I own my own two-bed apartment which has an SVR mortgage of €227k and is worth approx €400k. I have a salary of approx €65k. My fiancée has moved in with me in recent times and the plan would be for us to spend the first few years of married life in my place. I'm relatively financially aware and I feel lucky to have built up some decent equity in my own property.

However my fiancée also owns an investment property which she has never lived in. Her parents developed two mews houses during the Celtic Tiger period (long before I knew her) and put one of them (and the mortgage used to build that particular house) in the name of my fiancée at the time around 2007 or so.

Her mortgage is on a tracker rate and is let out to tenants but I believe the rental income is approx €1000 a month below the mortgage repayments and of course there will be income tax returns to make on the income generated as it is an investment property.

Truth be told, I suspect my fiancée simply signed the paperwork when she was in college and based on my discussions with her she has always let her parents effectively act as the landlords of this investment property on her behalf. I sense she has never really been fully aware of the detail around this investment property and doesn't really know what its current market value is. Privately I wonder whether she ever received any independent legal advice on the pros and cons of this arrangement at the time, but that is speaking with the benefit of hindsight and for diplomatic reasons I wouldn't say that out loud in front of my future in-laws.

Of course, now that I am getting married to her, I think we will need to take much more of a hands-on approach to the management of this investment property and I understand her parents are keen for us to take over the management in the near future. Funding the shortfall in rent will effectively become partly my responsibility after we are married and the fact that we both have existing mortgages will be a consideration if we ever decide to trade up and buy a proper family home in the coming years.

We both have decent incomes so servicing the tracker mortgage on the mews house would be viable but I'm wondering if we would simply be better off selling it the moment the market value of the property is sufficient to repay the existing mortgage. Although we would be getting an asset out of it, I'm concerned that we would need the cash-flow up front if we ever have kids etc.

I'm planning on sitting down with my fiancée's parents in the coming weeks to try and get full visibility on this. I'm obviously going to marry her but I think its only fair I go into marriage with all the facts in front of me. Any thoughts or comments on what I should be asking would be appreciated.

Wow. Ok you say you are lucky to have equity in your home and your fiancée was naive/ got poor advice / was in someway duped by her parents so she doesn't have equity and is now a burden on you! It's good of you to still marry her without a dowry or financial awareness.
I assume it's her house to do as she pleases with it. The mortgage seems to be very high on it if there's 1000 difference between rent and mortgage. If I was her and the sums made sense, I'd move into the mews house, rent out a room for as much as I could get. In the meantime if I was her I would go to and get independent advice on what to do with her mews house. Baring in mind that her finance is marrying her with reservations and a 2nd home might be a handy thing to have in the future

Wow. Ok you say you are lucky to have equity in your home and your fiancée was naive/ got poor advice / was in someway duped by her parents so she doesn't have equity and is now a burden on you! It's good of you to still marry her without a dowry or financial awareness.
I assume it's her house to do as she pleases with it. The mortgage seems to be very high on it if there's 1000 difference between rent and mortgage. If I was her and the sums made sense, I'd move into the mews house, rent out a room for as much as I could get. In the meantime if I was her I would go to and get independent advice on what to do with her mews house. Baring in mind that her finance is marrying her with reservations and a 2nd home might be a handy thing to have in the future

You're putting words in my mouth there. I don't have reservations about marrying her - I just want to know all the facts about what will become our joint financial situation in the near future, which isn't unreasonable to ask.

So I'm getting married next year to my fiancée.

I own my own two-bed apartment which has an SVR mortgage of €227k and is worth approx €400k. I have a salary of approx €65k. My fiancée has moved in with me in recent times and the plan would be for us to spend the first few years of married life in my place. I'm relatively financially aware and I feel lucky to have built up some decent equity in my own property.

However my fiancée also owns an investment property which she has never lived in. Her parents developed two mews houses during the Celtic Tiger period (long before I knew her) and put one of them (and the mortgage used to build that particular house) in the name of my fiancée at the time around 2007 or so.

Her mortgage is on a tracker rate and is let out to tenants but I believe the rental income is approx €1000 a month below the mortgage repayments and of course there will be income tax returns to make on the income generated as it is an investment property.

Truth be told, I suspect my fiancée simply signed the paperwork when she was in college and based on my discussions with her she has always let her parents effectively act as the landlords of this investment property on her behalf. I sense she has never really been fully aware of the detail around this investment property and doesn't really know what its current market value is. Privately I wonder whether she ever received any independent legal advice on the pros and cons of this arrangement at the time, but that is speaking with the benefit of hindsight and for diplomatic reasons I wouldn't say that out loud in front of my future in-laws.

Of course, now that I am getting married to her, I think we will need to take much more of a hands-on approach to the management of this investment property and I understand her parents are keen for us to take over the management in the near future. Funding the shortfall in rent will effectively become partly my responsibility after we are married and the fact that we both have existing mortgages will be a consideration if we ever decide to trade up and buy a proper family home in the coming years.

We both have decent incomes so servicing the tracker mortgage on the mews house would be viable but I'm wondering if we would simply be better off selling it the moment the market value of the property is sufficient to repay the existing mortgage. Although we would be getting an asset out of it, I'm concerned that we would need the cash-flow up front if we ever have kids etc.

I'm planning on sitting down with my fiancée's parents in the coming weeks to try and get full visibility on this. I'm obviously going to marry her but I think its only fair I go into marriage with all the facts in front of me. Any thoughts or comments on what I should be asking would be appreciated.

There seems to be a lot of surmising on your behalf here. Have you actually sat down and fully discussed this with your Fiancée? If you have it seems that you suspect you haven't been given the full story but it's all a bit confusing.

Who is currently paying the mortgage? Are her parents also on the mortgage/deeds?

The two of you need to iron out what both your opinions are on this and come to an agreement before talking to her parents.

You could considering trading up and applying for a mortgage in your sole name before you get married so your fiancee's negative equity mortgage will not come into play. As for her own arrangments with her parents, she should be driving it rather than you, but I understand your concerns.

Back