Fewer Nativity Christmas Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love a good nativity. But in my kid's secondary school, Religion is a compulsory subject and Science in optional. That is an educational system with seriously screwed up priorities.
It is crazy that the Christmas celebration in most 'traditional' (Chuch patron) primary schools specifically excludes a fair bunch of pupils, those of non-Christian religions and no religion. It really wouldn't be hard to add a non-religious section to accommodate all students and families.

It is crazy that the Christmas celebration in most 'traditional' (Chuch patron) primary schools specifically excludes a fair bunch of pupils, those of non-Christian religions and no religion. It really wouldn't be hard to add a non-religious section to accommodate all students and families.
I'm not so sure when it comes to Christmas. Maybe it's a different perspective. I'm English, not religious, an my kids started their schooling in non-religious schools in England. And the nativity play is a big thing there and I've never seen kids from non-Christian families (no religion or other religions) be or feel excluded, or prefer not to participate. It's just part of tradition. It's teaching religious doctrine as if they were facts that bothers me.

I'm not so sure when it comes to Christmas. Maybe it's a different perspective. I'm English, not religious, an my kids started their schooling in non-religious schools in England. And the nativity play is a big thing there and I've never seen kids from non-Christian families (no religion or other religions) be or feel excluded, or prefer not to participate. It's just part of tradition. It's teaching religious doctrine as if they were facts that bothers me.
It's part of Christian tradition. I've sat at parents association meetings for years listening to parents from Muslim, Hindu and atheist backgrounds expressing their frustration as to why the ENTIRE Christmas celebration event is all about alien cultures to them, and heard some of them begging for something as simple as a couple of non-religious christmas carols to be part of the celebration where their children could naturally participate, but they were ignored.

As "a by the way" the 2nd last place where I worked a fairly senior manager (non Catholic) took offence to the Christmas Crib being placed in a visible area and demanded its immediate removal as she said it was offensive to her. I asked the lady in question if she would like to remove the Crib herself to which she said she would do and gladly. For some reason unknown to me, she had a fast change of mind and apologised. Pity, I would have loved to see the subsequent reaction of staff.

It's part of Christian tradition. I've sat at parents association meetings for years listening to parents from Muslim, Hindu and atheist backgrounds expressing their frustration as to why the ENTIRE Christmas celebration event is all about alien cultures to them, and heard some of them begging for something as simple as a couple of non-religious christmas carols to be part of the celebration where their children could naturally participate, but they were ignored.

Considering how few people practice their religion I do find it strange that so many feel so strongly about having a Christian Christmas in Schools. For most people, and for most kids, Christmas is about Santa and decorations and parties and all that stuff. In essence it's gone back to the Pagan winter festival that was usurped by Christianity.

As "a by the way" the 2nd last place where I worked a fairly senior manager (non Catholic) took offence to the Christmas Crib being placed in a visible area and demanded its immediate removal as she said it was offensive to her. I asked the lady in question if she would like to remove the Crib herself to which she said she would do and gladly. For some reason unknown to me, she had a fast change of mind and apologised. Pity, I would have loved to see the subsequent reaction of staff.
Seems bizarre to me to have religious iconography in any workplace. I'd have thought it would be a matter for HR or similar rather than for any individual manager.

Not a bit bizarre; it's just a case of Live and Let Live.
I don't think it's appropriate to have religious iconography in a workplace. I certainly wouldn't have it where I work. We wouldn't allow political posters or any other such slogans or images either.

Seems bizarre to me to have religious iconography in any workplace.
Presumably you're against Easter eggs in the workplace then? What with eggs being symbolic of birth, rebirth, resurrection and all that stuff. A tradition first practised by early Christian communities in Mesopotamia.

And obviously, you'll not be taking the June (Whitsun) bank holiday off either.

Not to mention St Patrick's Day, it's terrible the way some workplaces decorate the place with images of the auld snake-banisher!

I don't think it's appropriate to have religious iconography in a workplace. I certainly wouldn't have it where I work. We wouldn't allow political posters or any other such slogans or images either.
Let me explain a bit further. The lady in question was from an Asian country where there had been some dreadful natural disasters resulting in much loss of life etc there. Our staff responded back then with a huge collection of cash for relief there. Had the lady removed the Crib (or continued to complain) it would have been seen as a kick where it hurts to the staff. I didn't wish to see her placed in any distressful situation and she heeded my advice and thanked me later. Like I already said it was a case of Live and Let Live. Or in one word RESPECT.

Last edited:
Presumably you're against Easter eggs in the workplace then? What with eggs being symbolic of birth, rebirth, resurrection and all that stuff. A tradition first practised by early Christian communities in Mesopotamia.
They made chocolate eggs!?
Amazing people, the Mesopotamian's.

Not to mention St Patrick's Day, it's terrible the way some workplaces decorate the place with images of the auld snake-banisher!
It is quite remarkable that so many Christian holidays just happened to coincide with pre-Christian holidays, isn't it? Like Easter being on the first Sunday of the first full moon after the equinox. Like that's not superimposing it on a pagan feast at all, is it?

Let me explain a bit further. The lady in question was from an Asian country where there had been some dreadful natural disasters resulting in much loss of life etc there. Our staff responded back then with a huge collection of cash for relief there. Had the lady removed the Crib (or continued to complain) it would have been seen as a kick where it hurts to the staff. I didn't wish to see her placed in any distressful situation and she heeded my advice and thanked me later. Like I already said it was a case of Live and Let Live. Or in one word RESPECT.
I'm surprised that the Staff would be so sensitive and tone deaf. Fair play to the lady for being so understanding of their limitations.

It is quite remarkable that so many Christian holidays just happened to coincide with pre-Christian holidays, isn't it? Like Easter being on the first Sunday of the first full moon after the equinox. Like that's not superimposing it on a pagan feast at all, is it?
Or you know, it was setup from the start to align that way...

I'm surprised that the Staff would be so sensitive and tone deaf. Fair play to the lady for being so understanding of their limitations.

Now Purple, surely you can see why someone would be offended if a person whose Country was the beneficiary of a charitable donation came along and expressed her thoughts on something that she found offensive in the workplace. Obviously you will point out the charitable donation and how she should keep quiet or else all those very charitable work colleagues will start to question was it worth helping to save lives in that far away land or will feel hurt that their generosity is just being thrown back into their faces.....

Ah, the message of Christmas. We give but please read the terms and conditions....

Easter eggs aren't a religious symbol though. They're not part of the Easter Mass, as far as I can remember. I can't recall ever seeing a St Patrick decoration in any workplace. I don't think I can recall seeing a St Patrick's Day decoration either. Do people not have enough work to do to be faffing around with all these decorations?

Bit of a bang of 'de pennies for de black babbies' off this, that she needs to 'know her place' and keep her head down and not be expecting to be treated equally to her peers, or we'll stop all the great charidee works.

Easter eggs aren't a religious symbol though.
There's no way people decorated eggs before the Christians did it. No way.
They're not part of the Easter Mass, as far as I can remember. I can't recall ever seeing a St Patrick decoration in any workplace. I don't think I can recall seeing a St Patrick's Day decoration either.
Didn't St. Patrick drive the snakes out of Ireland by tricking them into climbing into giant Easter eggs?

Interesting - we have different experiences. I've generally found families from non-Christian backgrounds very open to nativity, and much more suspicious of a secular education. Maybe it's a UK / Ireland difference. Or perhaps Church of England is more inclusive than Roman Catholic church?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back