Status
Not open for further replies.

Passport1

Anyone got feedback on or live(d) in the following estates in Firhouse Area

Dodder Valley Park
FernCourt
WoodDale
OakDale

Are these estates Quiet/Safe/settled. Do they have much/any trouble?

What other estates in Firhouse are quiet/safe/settled - Any places to avoid?

What is the overall Firhouse area like - does it have problems with traffic and access - whats public transport like, has it good local amenites, are there any big development plans for the area?

Any other information?
Thanks

I've lived in the Ballycullen area of Firhouse for the past three years and am pretty happy there. The bus service has improved drastically as have the traffic problems and I haven't encountered any major social problems. There's a decent shopping parade that's handy for buying bits and pieces and there's a good Supervalu five minutes drive away. Its also about a ten minute drive from a large Tesco and a large Superquinn.
However, I'm aware that some areas close to the settled travellers site have had problems so I'd just be careful where you buy. Some areas to the back of Hunterswood and Daletree seem to be the worst affected.

Everything Liaconn says is correct, the only places I would stay away from would be too close to the travellers accomodation on the Daletree Road as there have been a number of antisocial incidents stemming from there but they have been localised to Daletree, the back of Hunterswood and the back of Beechdale nearest the site.

The estates you mention are all fine. Quiet, settled in, nice green areas for kids to play, a lovely little park with a small lake and ducks etc...

Traffic has been grand for ages now, and youre close to everything re shopping, amenities.

Have found it a v.settled and safe area. Didn't know there was a traveller's housing scheme in the area until a neighbour told me.

He said that there have been occasions where things have been pinched if they're not locked up, so to ensure there are no problems we have kept the side gate locked, locked the car and shut windows before going out... tho I think I'd do that anywhere.

The Daletree/Oakdale/Rathlyon/Woodstown areas are grand. Don't like the Hunterswood development - seems overcrowded and very 'high-rise' for right on the edge of town.

The older estates around Ballycullen Drive and off the Firhouse road are well-settled and nicely mature.

The Daletree/Oakdale/Rathlyon/Woodstown areas are grand

Woodstown is in Knocklyon not Firhouse

I am currently living in Firhouse (short term) i have to say its a lovely area, really nice and settled, nice restaurant at Scolars and nice pubs also. Only dodgy one is the Firhouse Inn.

it used to be the most popular pub in the area. then the speaker was built and a lot of custom went in that direction (speaker is or was part owned by mortons initially), but I have heard very bad reports lately that mortons has become a bit on the dodgy side. havent been in it in a few years myself, but i used to frequent it in my youth.

hi all,

yes mortons, extremely dodgy especially friday and saturday nights and if there is a match on.

hi all,

yes mortons, extremely dodgy especially friday and saturday nights and if there is a match on.

do you mean dodgy in terms of fights?

shame - used to be a grand spot.

back on topic - overall I think Firhouse is a great area and Ive lived there all my life, I would be inclined to say that 'old' Firhouse - below the kilininny road, is far more settled in than 'new' Firhouse, simply due to the age of the estates and the more mature age of residents, however there are some lovely parts of 'new' Firhouse also.

stabbings, fights, glasses flying, yes !!!

Having said that, Firhouse is a lovely area, if we had not already bought a house in Knocklyon I would have considered buying here.

stabbings, fights, glasses flying, yes !!!

Having said that, Firhouse is a lovely area, if we had not already bought a house in Knocklyon I would have considered buying here.

Sounds like a scene from The life of Brian;
(old man in prison chained to wall) “marvellous area Firhouse, marvellous. Stabbings, fights, glasses flying etc…yes, but that goes without saying. Marvellous area, marvellous.

I have a friend who lives in Firhouse (she says its Rathfarnham so maybe its on the border?). She told me lately that for a posh area she's not too impressed. Said there have been burnt out cars and caravans parked at the back of her apartment. Think the name of the estate she is living is Beechdale. I always thought it looked like a really nice estate though but I would bear this in mind.

I have a friend who lives in Firhouse (she says its Rathfarnham so maybe its on the border?). She told me lately that for a posh area she's not too impressed. Said there have been burnt out cars and caravans parked at the back of her apartment. Think the name of the estate she is living is Beechdale. I always thought it looked like a really nice estate though but I would bear this in mind.

couldnt help but laugh at Firhouse being described as a posh area - it IS dublin 24, I never heard it described as posh before!!! Beechdale is definitely not rathfarnham. Its Firhouse.

The caravans and cars you mention were on the Old Court Road and due to the local community pulling together and calling the council repeatedly the caravans were moved on quickly - same caravans moved to the junction of The Mill, to Hunterswood, to Daletree, to the Belgard and back to the Old Court Road - apparently they are awaiting a spot in the travellers accommadation in Daletree. But that can happen anywhere and to be fair they did not bother anyone besides being unsightly.

There have been a number of antisocial incidents in the areas immediately beside the travellers accommodation, but this has been mentioned in a previous post.

Firhouse is a huge area - there is one cul de sac with social housing and one with traveller accomodation on the Daletree Road but this area is tiny by comparison to the whole.

We've lived in Daletree (the furthest part of it from the halting site) for 10 years now and touch wood we have never had a hint of trouble. We've often gone out and forgot to close windows or lock doors, cars etc (stupid I know) and all has been fine. The bus service is much improved with 2 buses to city centre now and the amenities are pretty good too. The added bonus of being minutes from the mountains etc. Traffic is much lighter too as previously mentioned. All in all can't fault the place personally.

Sounds like a scene from The life of Brian;
(old man in prison chained to wall) “marvellous area Firhouse, marvellous. Stabbings, fights, glasses flying etc…yes, but that goes without saying. Marvellous area, marvellous.

Hardly. As if anyone would rate a whole area of dublin based on incidents in one of the pubs in the area. Firhouse is a lovely area. Mortons pub is a rough pub. Outside of Mortons I have never come across any antisocial behaviour in Firhouse

Mortons pub is a rough pub.

And it didnt used to be at all, that has only developed in the past 5 years or so. Perhaps management changed or something?

I see the duckies are pairing off in the park at Parklands, lots of pairs of 2 green heads in the grass, so baby duckies will be on the way soon!!! Havent seen if the swan female has hatched her chicks yet - it was around this time last year she did though.

There are about 8 ducklings and 7 cygnets so far!

As to future developments in the area, there is a Local Area Plan in progress at the moment for the area above Beechdale stretching over to Bohernabreena. I think it is called West Oldcourt and I heard there were delays in the process. Other developments in the pipeline are a re-vamp of the SuperValu shopping centre, a new community facility in the park near the lake, and a new catholic church (to replace a prefab) at the back of Ferncourt.

8 ducklings and 7 cygnets!!!! yaaaay!! I will have to go down for a look this weekend, last year the cygnets were sooo cute!!! little fluffy sattellites round their mammy!

Yes there are delays in West Oldcourt, also with the property market going the way it has there seems to be a halt on building new houses unless they were already started (im talking about around beechdale - there were more planned but planning permission has expired cos builder didnt go ahead).

A re-vamp of SuperValu? Theyve been trotting that old chesnut out complete with plans and pics for years now but nothing seems to happen, wonder if they will really do it this time?

what kind of a community facility in the park? they better not disturb the ducks!!!

I think the Supervalu is great. Its always nice and quiet, good stock and prices very reasonable so I hope they don't change it too much. I suppose they could do with a few decent shops in the general complex and it definitely looks very grotty and rundown but I have to admit, I nearly prefer it that way because it doesn't attract big crowds and there's never any hassle parking or long queues at the checkout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back