fedex charges

K

kerinsp

Hi,
I am just wondering if you think I am being ripped off here. I ordered an air filter from the US and it was fedexed over to me. The item cost 39 euro and I paid for shipping when ordering. Now fedex are hitting me for vat/duty charges totalling 25 euro.

I can't believe they are charging 25 euro tax on a 39 euro item.

Is this breakdown correct (this is what I got from fedex):

value of goods 48 usd
divided by 1.2331 to convert to eur's = 38.92

plus pre-landing fee 32.00 for calculation of
d/t only
total 70.92

duty applied 1.7% 1.20
total = 72.12

vat @ 21% = 15.14

total = 16.34
admin fee 7.20
vat on admin fee 1.51

total payable = 25.05

I have asked for clarification what the pre-landing fee of 32 euro is for.

I think this shows the rates they charge for shipping which is not what I am interested in.
I am trying to see if a 25 euro VAT/DUTY charge on an 39 euro item is the rip off I think it is. Fedex are blaming the government of course but after paying for shipping they are hitting me with a pre-landing fee before the VAT is charged.

Paul

well first of all the exchange rate they're using is way off,
It should be about 1.32. This only accounts for about €2 but it's worth noting.

The Pre-Landing charge does seem a bit excessive, but it strikes me that it's probably legit and they probably charge it because they have you over a barrell.

You could try ringing them pretending that you're thinking of using them and you'd like them to explain all their charges.
If you do this before actually tackling them about your specific complaint you're likely to get more helpful information, because they'll be in sales mode.

-Rd

Hi,
I mailed them back questioning the pre-landing charge already. Probably wont get a response for a while.
Thanks
Paul

Did you ask them for a quotation up-front of what the charges were going to be?

Back