Feasibility of Combination Gas Boiler

billybobmac

Hi
In need of some expert advice - We have a Baxi gas boiler which heats the water via a coil and thus takes a while to provide hot water. We only use hot water for sinks so it is low usage, and this seems like a lot of wasted energy so looking into replacing it. We have had a couple of engineers in and both tell us that because of low water pressure in Limerick then a combi is not possible. Now we're no experts but the water pressure in our home is faultless, the water is also very hard so are wondering whether this might just be the easy answer?. We would like to know if it is worth pursuing a combi further or do we have to stick with this?
Thanks
BBM

Combis are great as long as properly installed with the correct water pressure behind it. Wouldn't be mad about the baxi variety though. As the other poster suggested, water treatment for limescale is a must, if not the plate heatexchanger will not last.

Will you be changing the showers so they use hot water from combi?

Will it only service sinks?

I have fitted a few combi's in Limerick city and while the water pressure is quite poor, there are ways to make the boiler preform as it should. Again it will depend on peak demand, EG if you have one bathroom or four.

What I would suggest is fitting a thermostat on cylinder, this will control temp effectively and not waste too much energy.

Hi DaveyJones

The showers are electric - 3 bathrooms with 2 showers. The hot water is only for sinks - bathrooms and kitchen.

Would you like to pm me with some rough figures?

Thank you for responding, good to hear it's a possibility
bbm

Why PM when I can post it here:) .

A decent combi boiler is about €1000. The rest is harder to give rough figures.

You may have to pump water through the combi for existing storage tank to ensure good flow at all times. I would get rid of one of the electric showers if I could.

There are a lot of good guys around, get at least three quotes, they cost nothing, and listen to what installers are saying. Feel free to ask me more questions here.

Davy,

Is there a particular brand combi you would recommend.

What size would I need for 45m2 underfloor heating + 6 rads.

Thanks

Back