FE1 Exams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey sorry for late reply.

The grinds teacheres I used were Liam Bell and Elizabeth Dunne, both barristers. I find them really good and helpful.

About doing the 8 exams, it depends on each person I suppose. I am a Commerce graduate and had only done Law as one of my subjects throughout college so therefore I only wanted to attempt doing 4. It is possible and if you put your mind to it you could do it. It is very tough working full time though, especially being in college as well. Doing 8 exams may mean you will pretty much not have any life other than work and study but if you're prepared for that, definately gofor the 8.

When you did them before, how did you find them and how much study time had you given to them?

Good luck anyway,

Carmody.

I found them pretty tough going. I did put in the effort but it wasnt enough and i think it really does take a fair bit of determination and single-mindedness. I lost heart after i failed the first time round but obviously if you dont even attempt them you really dont have any hope of passing, so i'm going to give it another shot.

I hadnt considered doing grinds but i think its something i'll look into this time around.

Im not looking forward to the six month hell of work, study, bed and nothing else, but i suppose it's only six months out of my life & i'll regret it if i dont.

Yeah if you think about how fast the last 6 months has gone it isn't that much. Try and just keep one night and one day off for yourself, like Saturday night and all day Sunday.

I have put effort in as well but am not sure how I will do at all. At the start of the course I wasn't doing any study, and then I started studying most evenings. I've been off for the last 2 weeks but didn't feel under pressure because I felt i had all day long to study but then wasn't getting enough done. I work best under pressure and can only cram to get details into my head, otherwise I can't remember them.

First exam is on Wednesday and I am really panicking now.

Best of luck and don't worry you will be fine.

Carmody ;)

Best of luck tomorrow Carmody...remember deep breaths and you'll be grand!

Thanks Darth Vader.....

Best of luck to you too Lou on Friday for Land law.

We'll be grand.....I hope I will be anyway.

Take Care xx

Heya,

How did you get on with Land Law on Friday Lou? Hope it went really well for you. I had Company Law on Wednesday. I was so nervous before hand and blanked most of my cases...ahhhh!!!! Had 3 good questions and 2 crap ones so I don't think I will pass. I'm so disappointed now but just trying to concentrate on the next 3 because I CANNOT fail anymore.

Was just wondering if you know of any tips for Constitutional Law on Monday?

My lecturer had said maybe Constraints on Judges, The Preamble with particular reference to Prudence, Justice, Charity. Maybe a question on Natural Law and the move away from it or a question on Article 45.

I don't know, I hate listening to tips incase they don't come up but now I'm panicking and just wondering if you have any idea.

Best of luck with it anyway!!!:)

Carmody

Hi Carmody,

Don't worry about Company now, its over and to be honest I really don't know that you can ever tell how they went until results...we may be surprised! I was much the same for Land...did three ok questions but my other two answers were weak. Even though it wasn't a great exam for me I am glad to have started.

As regards Constitutional, I am very unprepared. I find the past questions confusing which is not a good sign! I don't have tips but the ones you mentioned would be nice questions I think. As you said thought it can really throw you if the questions you expected don't turn up on the paper. There are so many cases and so much cross referencing and overlap...Oh my God now I'm making myself panic!!

Hopefully it will be a nice paper and best of luck to you too...we'll be grand!!

Lou

Heya Lou,

Sounds like Land Law went well enough for you, Im sure wou will do fine.

I FINALLY found my list of predictions for Constitutional exam from my lecturer.

It's quite long but good so here you go.....

• Justice, Prudence, Charity....(Oct.98 Q.1)......Good chance.
  • Constitutional Interprestation, inter alia, precent, historical interpretatiion, dcotrine of non-justiciablity....(APR 02 Q.1, Oct 99 Q1).....Good chance.
  • Perogatives....Either Royal Perogatives or Are Perogatives redundant....(Q8,OCT 01)....Extremely high chance of this coming up.
  • Separation of Powers.
Under the Doctrine of non-justiciability:
1. Distinction between words are invalid, inconsisten and repugnant....(Q8 APR 01)

2.Constitutional jurisdiction of lower courts.....High chance these will be coming up.

• Constitutional Rights of non-citizens re: Lobe Cae...good chance.
  • Private Proerty and right to earn a livelihood...good chance.
  • Non-Justiciability...good chance but did come up last year.
  • Equality...good chance, but did come up last year.
  • Doctrine of Proportionality...good chance....Q3 April 98....Link this with consideration of common good, private property and equality cases.
  • Right to silence(OCT 02 Q7)...Presumption of Innocence, right to a lawyer, Fairness, unconstitutioanlly obtained evidence.Right or lack of rights of cross examination, Criminal offences.
  • The family re: T.D. case and Northern Wesren Health Board case.
  • Religion appearing alot more and more interest in it...re: Quinn Supermarkets Case (Q8 Apr 02, Q3 OCT 01).Often neglected by examiner but has been area of curiosity in recent papers.
  • Directives of Social Policy.
Ok hope that doesn't scare hell out of you...but it's a good guideline and at least a few of them may come up.....It is only a guideline so don't get annoyed if they don't come up.

Best of luck Lou...They're nearly over....

Take care,

Carmody!

Hey Carmody
You're so good! Thank you for writing out all those guidelines...really now it was great of you and they are very helpful....should focus me a bit more I think and don't worry I know there are no guarantees! As you said though there is a fair chance at least some of them will come up.

Exactly they're nearly over now and then we can have a well deserved break from the books for a little while at least!

Best of look tomorrow!!!

Lou :)

Heya Lou,

How did you get on yesterday? Hope it went well.

I did good I think, I felt happy after I just hope that I put all the right topics down. Its hard to know because you're interpreting the questions.

Good luck if your doing Equity tomorrow....Thank God, they are nearly over!!!

Carmocy.

Hi Carmody,

I'm really glad yesterday went well for you...a good confidence boost! I literally waffled on for the three hours but I knew I was very unprepared anyway. I'm doing equity tomorrow and hopefully that will go better. Yes thankfully they're nearly over.

Best of luck tomorrow!!!

Lou

I was just wondering - for those in the know - exactly how difficult is it to secure an apprenticeship once you get your law exams?

I understand the money is terrible but is their an availability problem as well?

Depends on what your experience is. I would imagine it could be tough to find an apprenticeship if you have no legal experience. However, I had about three or four years working in solicitors offices before i did the FE1 exams. It would be interesting to see how it was for someone with no experience.

As far as I am aware it is quite tough to secure an apprenticeship, just because there are so many people at the one time trying to get places. It doesn't really depend on your results as far as I have heard...What I mean is everyone who passes gets in or around the same marks.

I am working in a solicitors ofice for nearly a year, so hoping if I can't get one with them that the experience will stand to me.

I heard that one girl got an apprenticeship with a top firm because they found it great that she played golf....and another girl got one because of her experience. So God only knows what they're looking for... think something that differentiates you from others.

Carmody.

Hey Lou,

How did Equity go for you. I thought it was a nice paper, loads of past questions came up. Hope it went well for you.

Do you have Criminal or are you finished? I have Criminal on Monday and then I'm finished!!!! Cannot wait.

Good luck with the next one.

Carmody :)

Hey Carmody,

Equity went well for me too - definatly the best so far and it was great that all those past questions came up...at least we knew the correct issues!

I have criminal monday but then thats it for me too....can't wait either but almost there now!!!

Best of luck monday!

Lou

Hey,

Hope the Criminal exam went well Lou. How do you think it went? I thought it was ok, bit tough but sure they are all over now so its all good.

Just wondering if anyone knows when the results for the exams will be out? I heard they will be out in December, is that right?

Carmody:)

It'll be a Monday anyway ( they are always posted on a Friday!) and will prob be around second week in dec i reckon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back