Favourite Scary Movie

Wolf Creek is .... err... spine tingling (you'll get it if you saw the film). Should be compulsory viewing on the backpacker flight to Australia ;-) !!

Have to say I would be hard pushed to find any movie scary nowadays.

Back in day the Exorcist was scary but I watched it recently and it was actually very scary!. At the time I found Amityville and poltergeist quite scary as well. I find the horror/scary films nowadays start off quite well but always descend into a farce! I remember the start of jeepers creepers & it had potential but then became ridiculous, same with White Noise - could have been a very scary film but just lost it. Films seem to rely on gore and blood now rather then genuine tension and creepiness.

Top film of all time has to be the Shining - just found it so creepy!. Also would rate Norman Bates and psycho.

Wolf Creek is .... err... spine tingling (you'll get it if you saw the film). Should be compulsory viewing on the backpacker flight to Australia ;-) !!

Yeah, thought this was a good one. A bit different too with the docu style realism acting during the first bit. Their predicament was relatively believable also.

Hi Folks,
I have just watched a really good scary movie called "PARANORMAL ACTIVITY" i thought it was excellent and the acting was very good it was filmed using hand held documentary style camera work which is popular now just wondering did any of you see it?

My niece watched it last week and told me it was excellent. Haven't seen it myself but the trailer looks pretty good.

Favourite horror movie is Halloween (original) followed very closely by Black Christmas (original)

Didn't know there had been a remake.

Unfortunately there was in 2006. I think you can guess how it turns out.

I've often thought if I worked in Xtravision and knew someone had bought/rented Black Christmas or The Ring, would it be a good craic to ring them up in the middle of the night and say either "it's me Billy" or "Seven Days"?

I mean, you'd get the sack and everything, but it'd be worth it.

I've often thought if I worked in Xtravision and knew someone had bought/rented Black Christmas or The Ring, would it be a good craic to ring them up in the middle of the night and say either "it's me Billy" or "Seven Days"?

Oh you're evil. I like it, but still....EVIL!

LOL!!!

Do it from a public payphone, avoid the sacking :)

Eh, Jaws, duh ne, duh ne, duh ne, duhne, du nededah, chomp. Won't swim in the ocean since I saw it as a teenager, evertime I got in the water after it, all I would hear is that music, plus didn't help that my sister would swim under me and pull me down or chase me in the pool singing the theme tune. Can't choose family!

What about Salem's Lot especially this scene http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eC5HZzjjI9Y

I remember watching this in my bedroom for a few minutes then running downstairs in two strides to my Dad, plucking up the courage to return to watch some more and then back down again and so on!

This series really terrified me.

i'd forgottten about salem's lot. (i wouldn't click on your link cos if it's the scene i think it is, i'd be scared.)

wolf creek is brilliant, i wasn't expecting it to be so good.

the descent was scary too. the first time i watched it we were living in a rented house and my other half decided he was too tired so went to bed. (bedroom door was right off the sitting room where i was watching it) I was so scared! door to my immediate left, big old hot press thing to my right and a large window behind the tv, looking out over fields.

i was actually too frightened to move, so just sat there til it finished. :eek:

those jerky, horrible creatures in the grudge and the ring kind of freaked me out. it was the way they moved. yeuch.

and there was one scene in The grudge where someone had climbed up into the roof, looked to the side and there was that face. oh my god...

i'm a total WUSS when it comes to horrors, but love them all the same.

edit: Dawn of the Dead remake just starting on Film4. Enjoy!!!

For actual scary moments as opposed to the movie as a whole, what about Black Christmas (I think?!)

The police phoning the babysitter to advise that they had traced the pervy/freaky calls and that she was not to panic and to slowly and calmly walk to the front door ...

...the calls were coming from inside the house :eek:

A cliché probably by now but not then. I still remember the delicious chill I felt at that moment!

Caveat have to correct you there. You're thinking of When A Stranger Calls.

Black Christmas: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysBKrRtBuag

Sorry but I'm a horror nerd! :)

Last edited:
Caveat have to correct you there. You're thinking of When A Stranger Calls.

Black Christmas: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysBKrRtBuag

Sorry but I'm a horror nerd! :)

I beg to differ my friend.

It was indeed Black Christmas I was thinking of - the detail that I got wrong was my reference to the babysitter - which may have led you to think of WASC.

From Wiki:

[broken link removed])

"Jess gets another obscene phone call. After that, the police call her and tell her that the calls are coming from the inside of the house and to get out."

Back