Fan-coil radiators for geothermal heating system

extopia

Does anyone know anything about this kind of radiator?

We've installed a geothermal system in our renovation (no power so not turned on yet!) and the heating company suggested we use this kind of radiator upstairs as we didn't want to go with underfloor heating up there (there is underfloor heating downstairs).

We've run into delays because the heating company is having trouble sourcing these radiators.

Does anyone have any experience of this? Or of using conventional rads with geothermal heat pump (which I heard is an option, although you need to use bigger rads than usual)? If anyone knows a supplier of these fancoil radiators I'd like to know, as I'm not sure I believe what I'm hearing from the heating company who designed my system.

Hi Extopia,

See these people mention [broken link removed]. Would they be able to give you some advice thru their e-mail address at bottom of page. As far as I can recall you've recommended Google in the past so I'm sure you've had a look and its no use?

They ( the ones at Fishguard ) are metall pipes laying in an open duct in the floor . This duct then is covered by a metall roast to walk on . To enhance the distribution of heat ( the air circulation ! ) an air blower is combined with theses pipes , a must for ceiling mounted units. Because when running a heating system on low temperatures the natural up-drift of warm air ( the exchange between cold and warm temperatures ) is much slower as it would be if the temperature was higher .
Think about a simple radiator with a van assisting circulation . Both - the propelled air and the hot/dry temperature of it - give an unpleasant feeling . And steel roasts to walk on ....
At Suellen's link ("them") the efficiency of the heatpump is given at 2.8 . When running a radiator at sixtysomething degrees . Installing an energy consuming van ( one for every room ) would bring this down even further.
Heat pumps are realy only cheaper when running them on low temperature and/or using them for cooling purposes as well .
I hope your insulation makes up for it .

I think our insulation is up to scratch. Part of the problem we're having is difficulty in sourcing fan-coil radiators that are not so "industrial" in style (i.e. that look like regular radiators). Perhaps we should have bitten the bullet and installed the underfloor heating upstairs too...

My last post was somehow cut .
Try to install a wall heating system . You could/should put some insulation behind it ( and loosing 1 or 2 inches of space ) and still benefit of the low output temperature from your heatpump ?

Try [broken link removed] - 'solo' fan coil units..........these are made in Ireland.

Back