Family Vehicles

C

ckc123

I am looking for recommendations for a family vehicle - we have 2 toddlers and one BIG dog and are looking to buy a second hand car or spacewagon type vehicle as our present Rover is too small - we also can't bring the dog along with us anywhere (I know the dog should not be a priority when purchasing a vehicle, but....) I don't know where to start looking - any ideas or experience with 'family' vehicles? Thanks.

Hi,

Have had a 98 Renault Scenic since March. They are available in the 8-11k region.

However, if you have the dog (how big?) in the back, I don't know where you'll fit the strollers and shopping.

If cost is an issue, check one out, there's loads in the garages.

Family Car

I had a similar problem of not enough space in the car, we had an Astra hatch, but when Number four arrived
I had to look around as baby seats take up so much space so I finally settled on a Zafira and have never looked back....boot space is limited when using the 7th
seat but as there are only 6 of us we leave the 7th seat folded into the floor, which give loads of space.......

About the dog, I thought that anyone with a loose dog in a car was not covered by insurance ???? unless the dog was partitioned off from the driver ????

Re: Family Car

Thanks for your suggestions - I had not realised that about insurance and the dog int eh car - I had better check that out!

Re: Family Car

...........and make sure the dog is licensed!

Wheres the fun in that...

Get yerself an MX5 with a trailer.

Re: Wheres the fun in that...

Gotta get a Hum-Vee - 'CAUSE ITS A JUNGLE OUT THERE MAN

Thanks for the suggestions - and the humour...Will check those out and think about leaving the poor dog at home.....sigh...

ckc123,

If you are looking for a new or even 2nd hand family cars, or indeed any type I would have a read of the EURO-NCAP results first.

They had a report on BBC’s TopGear about ENCAP's latest tests/results, with some interesting findings.

ENCAP test cars for their safety, in different crash scenarios. Seemingly in some crashes you are safer in a Ford Fiesta that in a Land Rover! They had the cars on the show was surprising some of the damage caused/sustained by the cars.

Might be of some help.

www.euroncap.com/

Thanks again for your comments - I have been looking around and have heard a lot of good things about the Citreon Berlingo Multispace - the space and price are right but I am having problems getting past the looks (definitely not a cool looking vehicle..)- has anyone out there driven one?
Thanks

I have 2 kids and a big boxer dog. I bought a Ford Focus 1.6 estate and am as happy as a clam, it got a 4 star encap rating. It is as cool looking as an estate can be and had pretty much the same space as the space wagons (look at the boot space of the picasso etc). When we travel for a weekend we are fairly packed up but all our stuff fits, including a bulky 3 wheel buggy.

family car

we have recently bought a used volvo v40, R reg, in anticipation of the birth of our first. We also have a dog and so needed a good sized car/boot! We were particularly impressed by the built in booster seats in the rear and the over all performance and comfort. However, may i warn you that ours is a T4 with an impressive spec, but you pay for it in running costs! was a little shock at first...but i would still recommend it...a lovely drive

Zafira

What Car? reckon the Opel Zafira is the best MPV.

What's more, if you know somebody who can get you a fleet discount your looking at 15% off list price.

Not a bad deal.........

Get yerself an MX5 with a trailer.

I could see several practical difficulties arising after purchasing an mx5 for a family of four with a dog. Where would you get in? and toddlers in a trailer tut tut....

perhaps you should really consider a "dog trailer".
You can get some very nice looking ones and if you need to go somewhere with the doc at least he could travel in style!

You also wouldn't be killed by him hitting the back of your head if you crash. On a similar note.. if you have a seven seater and only use 6 seats..... all the stuff in the boot is not secure and might hit you if you crash. Any small item hitting the back of your head at 40mp could kill you.

In same position as the OP but have three kids and a good sized dog. Looking for an MPV. People say the Ford Galaxy has no luggage/dog space when all seats being used. And that taking them out is a pain. Anyone got ideas re the best MPV of this size?

What about an estate car with the wire mesh for the dog.

Should be plenty of room.

Mondeo Passat Vectra etc.

Back