Family car - suggestions?

bq67ie

Hi,

Struggling to fit 3 child seats in the back of current car (A6) and thinking of upgrading to something a bit more spacious. Currently looking at the Nissan Qashqai+2. Seems ok at first glance.

Anyone have any opinions on this, or suggestions as to what else I should be looking at?

Budget is fairly flexible, as we'd probably get a decent trade-in for our existing car.

Thanks,
Bill

Hi,

What ages are the children? Some car seats for young kids are quite bulky, which impacts the "middle seat" space. Have you looked at alternative models of car seats?

Basically we've a baby seat (newborn), a forward-facing child seat, and a booster.

We have all three currently in the A6, but it's very squashed, and proving difficult to open/close the seat belt on the booster seat. Also means we have no space for anyone else.

My SIL has a Renault Scenic and comfortably fits in one baby seat, one child seat and one booster in the back of the car.

I would advise you to take the seats with you when looking at cars, just to be sure before you buy. I have a Skoda Octavia and its a big squeeze with all three in the back even though its a pretty big car - or so I thought!

My SIL has a Nissan Qashqai+2, 3 child seats and very happy with it - and the big plus of having space for other passengers which is what they were after as well

Family car

Have a look at the Mazda 5. 7seats easily fold back and and the big plus of sliding doors on the side, which were the biggest requirement for me. I'll never have side opening doors again untill the kids are big enough to get in and out of the car themselves.

Have a look at the Mazda 5. 7seats easily fold back and and the big plus of sliding doors on the side, which were the biggest requirement for me. I'll never have side opening doors again untill the kids are big enough to get in and out of the car themselves.

Great tip - thanks. Sliding doors sounds brilliant. New contender!!

How would you rate the Scenic? Reliable? Comfortable?

We have a Scenic for the past 5 years. Easily fits any combination of car seats, boosters etc. Loads of space as there are 3 "seperate" back seats - they move independant of each other too.
Would look at the 7 seater version - more room again plus option of the extra 2 seats.
Realiability - some issues with electrics, nothing serious. Keep the car in good shape and service regularly, should be fine.
The newer models look great and we will be going for one of these for our next car.

We have a Scenic for the past 5 years. Easily fits any combination of car seats, boosters etc. Loads of space as there are 3 "seperate" back seats - they move independant of each other too.
Would look at the 7 seater version - more room again plus option of the extra 2 seats.
Realiability - some issues with electrics, nothing serious. Keep the car in good shape and service regularly, should be fine.
The newer models look great and we will be going for one of these for our next car.

Thanks. They don't have a great reputation from what I've heard, so interesting to hear a first-hand opinion.

How would you rate the Scenic? Reliable? Comfortable?

My SIL loves hers. 2008 model had it from nearly new. No problems whatsoever with it, comfortable to drive, very spacious. As mentioned before the seats are independent from each other which is a great plus.

Thanks. They don't have a great reputation from what I've heard, so interesting to hear a first-hand opinion.

Tread carefully. We've had a 2004 Scenic from new, and it's had several expensive problems: mostly electrical. It's been well cared for and serviced at main dealers, so it's not due to neglect or abuse by a previous owner.

The interesting thing is that when talking to other owners, they've invariably had similar problems (instrument panel failing, door locks, windows etc.).

Having said that, it sounds like the more recent ones have fewer problems, but even so I'd be slow to get another.

A pity, as it's a great car for its intended purpose - basically, an easy to live with family car that does pretty much all you could ask of it.

Back