Fairview Close Apts, off Richmond avenue, Dublin

D

Daniel

Hi,
Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on a new apt development in Fairview, off richmond avenue.
What kind of area is this ? What is transport links ?

Have been considering Glasnevin as well. Any major differences ?
Thanks

Re: Fairview Apts

Hi Daniel,

Sorry can't help you but I too would be interested. What is the name of the development you are refering to.

Thanks

What are the names of the developments you have been looking at? Sometimes with Drumcondra/Glasnevin etc u pay for the postcode a little too much IMHO.

The name is Fairview close, advertised on last weeks and todays times.

the other one is premeir sq. in glasnevin

Daniel,

Premier Square is Finglas (officially) as it is Dublin 11.... but it was advertised as Glasnevin. I just bought one there, moved in about 3 weeks ago.. and so far I love it. If you want to IM me for any specific info please feel free....

Thanks Lauren. I kinda just wanted to get a feel for the place as i am not too familar that area as currently renting southside.

Are you within wallking distance of city centre ?
Would you feel safe walking to shops nearby ?

Daniel,

Buses outside the door at peak hours every 5 minutes (or so it seems!). Bus from there gets me to Parnell Street in 15 minutes (or less). Great bus corridor. Yes walking to the city centre is an option. Good healthy walk to O'Connell Bridge would probably take me about 45 minutes. I've done it a few times. Local Clearwater shopping centre (Tescos) is open 24 hours per day. Very handy. No problem walking there, have done it many times. Its not the 'poshest' Tescos in Dublin but its fine. Premier Sq has security gates at the front and a security gate for the underground car park. Apartments at Prospect Hill across the way may include some shops which would be handy for me. Also a Lidl is expected to be built across the Finglas Road at the bottom of Glenhill in the coming months....

Richmond avenue seems to be under going a mini conversion from a commercial area to a residential area, with a no. of business having moved out.
Living in Fairview myself, v.happy with the area. Two potential issues with Richmond av.
- there was a lot of flooding a couple of years back when the tolks last burst its banks. I would ask about this, especially with any underground parking.
- It's a mini public transport blind spot, about half way between the Drumdondra & Fairview/North Strand corridors.

Realistically how long a walk is it into o'connell st ?

THe bus is the only other tansport option i take it. Is it that they are all full by that stage or the service is poor ?

The plans for Fairview Close were launched at 8am this morning.

All the apartments were all sold out by 820am with a queue of about 40 people still waiting on the street.

Thanks for that. Guess you can't think about any new property decisions for long these days !

Sorry I was thinking of [broken link removed]
Hadn't heard about Fairview close, wondered what that tower crane was for :)

There would be a huge difference between Fairview and Finglas in terms of prices - a 2 bed house near Premier Sq could cost you around E300 and a two bed house in Fairvew over E500 - guess that's why they went so quickly. (All figures relate to property currently on myhome.ie)

To be honest I haven't heard great things about Premier Square from a couple of people who lived there. I am not saying that this is gospel but do check it out. The price appreciation there hasn't been great either compared to other places in the same area behind it e.g. the council houses in Griffith Parade and Griffith Drive have rocketed over the past year.

tiger said:
- It's a mini public transport blind spot, about half way between the Drumdondra & Fairview/North Strand corridors.

Nonsense. The 123 goes across town from Marino via Fairview Strand and Ballybough Road/Summerhill. And the "North Strand corridor" (served by many routes, but mostly only as far as Marlborough St.) is only 3 minute walk from "Fairview Close." Dart station at Clontarf is maybe 10 minute walk. Handy if you're going further afield, but doesn't really add up for commuting to town.

Daniel said:
Realistically how long a walk is it into o'connell st? The bus is the only other tansport option i take it. Is it that they are all full by that stage or the service is poor ?

Depends on how fast you walk :) For me, 20 mins to bottom end of O'Connell St. (Parnell St.) You have to walk through Summerhill, which might make some people nervous, but never had any problems whatsoever in that area.

The 123 bus can indeed be overwhelmed at peak hours as it's one of those small "city imp" type buses. Sometimes there are a couple of double deckers on the route. But the 123 is pretty frequent. It's biggest problem is getting down Phillipsburgh Ave and Fairview Strand, with all the traffic there. Once into Ballybough it's plain sailing to O'Connell St.

Other thoughts...

Fairview Close is on the former site of Davies plumbing store, Richmond Avenue is indeed undergoing a conversion from light industrial to residential use. For people who like to drive to work, I suspect they will be sitting in their cars for 20 mins just to get out onto Richmond Road once these developments are complete. In fact many of them will be sitting in the underground car park for a good while, just trying to get out of the building! So think about not driving if you want to live here.

Flooding:
Yes, Dublin 3 is a low lying area. If the Tolka floods you could have some problems. Richmond Ave is slightly uphill, so it would depend on the severity. Flooding here is nowhere as frequent as the Dodder though. Maybe 2 floods in the past 50 years?

Shops:
Nearest full-size supermarkets are Tesco in Artane, Supervalu in Killester, Superquinn in Coolock. Plus the ones in town (not practical for drivers). So you won't be walking to the supermarket. There's a fairly reasonable and good sized Centra on Fairview Strand for daily purchases.

Amenities:
Fairview Park will soon be reinstated to its former size as the tunnel works are completed. Clontarf seafront is within walking distance. Westwood Club for the gym crowd. And of course Croke Park (expect a lively atmosphere on summer Sundays, some people don't like this and would prefer if GAA were played in Landsdown Road). Shelbourne play down the road in Tolka Park. No traffic problems caused by League of Ireland, unfortunately. :)

Schools:
Very good girls secondary schools in Griffith Ave vicinity. Local Boys secondary school is St. Joseph's, Fairview. Not as great as in its heyday apparently, but probably better than some people claim. Not a lot of choice in Primary schools. St. Mary's behind Fairview Church is exellent, it's a girls' school, but takes boys up to second class I think. The principal, Ms. Kelly, is very dedicated. If you are a snob you may be put off by the fact that many of the kids are from Ballybough, in which case you may be more interested in the primaries on Griffith Ave.

Restaurants:
The Fairview/Ballybough area used to be a bit of a black spot for food, but things are improving. Good new Thai restaurant just opened on Ballybough Rd. at Clonliffe Rd. There's an Italian (Da Enzo) on Fairview Strand. Friendly but overpriced. Food just OK unless it's improved in the past year. Good coffee shop (Javaholics) opposite Fairview Park.

Pubs:
Best pub locally by a mile is Gaffney's, opposite Fairview Park. hands down
Meagher's pub is practically in the Fairview Close development. Not a bad house. Food used to be OK, haven't been in a while. Avoid Kelly's Fairview Inn, under new ownership and gone rapidly downhill. The Clonliffe House in Ballybough is not much better.

Fairview is a good place to live, very convenient to town.

Fairview is an excellent area for accessability to the city centre. I have lived there for the last 7 years and walk to work (Stephen's Green) in 45 min every morning or if I drive it's never any longer than 30 min even in the worst traffic - normally 20 min.
The IFSC is a 20 min walk and O'Connell Street is a 30 min walk - mind you I don't walk through Summerhill - I prefer to go the North Strand way.

The area is under pressure with so many developments all the way up the road - Richmond Avenue, Fairview Close, RR, Riverview - also 42 new appartments due to be built on Watervill ave/Richmond Road.

Property prices have risen dramatically in the last few years - with stronger growth than most areas - projected to grow again at twice the Dublin average this year.One bed appartments were sold for €275k three months ago - now they are min €295k in Fairview Close.

Bertie says that they have fixed the flooding problem with the tolka!

Da Enzo's is a fabulous itialian restaurant! Not a great selection of pubs in the area though.

The main downside for living in the area = Not the place to be on a Sunday afternoon in the summer - The GAA don't give a toss about the Richmond Road area - they only look after residents up to Clonliff Road. Richmond Road is a car park from 12 noon until 7pm every Sunday in late summer. It is a nightmare.

Angelina said:
The main downside for living in the area = Not the place to be on a Sunday afternoon in the summer - The GAA don't give a toss about the Richmond Road area - they only look after residents up to Clonliff Road. Richmond Road is a car park from 12 noon until 7pm every Sunday in late summer. It is a nightmare.

With all due respect, it's a bit much to expect to live a stone's throw from an 80,000 seater stadium without any inconvenience on match days. Croke Park has been on Jones's Road now for more than 100 years. To move to the area and then give out about the stadium is not on. What did you expect?

Most of us who grew up in the area accept the inconvenience and embrace the life and colour it brings into the neighbourhood. Others moved out I suppose, but we all agree that it's part of the fabric of this part of Dublin whether we like it or not, and long may it continue to be.

If you think it's bad on Richmond Road, believe me, they've got it worse on Clonliffe Road, Jones's Road and Fitzroy and Russell Avenues.

extopia said:
Shops:
Nearest full-size supermarkets are Tesco in Artane, Supervalu in Killester, Superquinn in Coolock. Plus the ones in town (not practical for drivers). So you won't be walking to the supermarket. There's a fairly reasonable and good sized Centra on Fairview Strand for daily purchases.

tesco in drumcondra is a short enough walk up richmond road,and drumcondra has many good pubs and restaurants.ballybough/summerhill can be rough but close to town.richmond road is a nightmare for traffic as its so narrow,i cycle down it a lot and have to stay on the path as the road is so narrow,with all the new developmets along there the taffic at peak times will only get worse.
premier square is ok but near to one of worst parts of finglas-lucky theres high fences and gates.theres always a rough element shopping in tesco,if you go late at night theres less of them.

bearishbull, what part of Finglas are you referring to? Are you from the area? What information do you have to back up what you are saying about Finglas?

bearishbull said:
tesco in drumcondra is a short enough walk up richmond road...

Yes, didn't include that because it's a Tesco Local, not a full-size supermarket.

premier square is ok but near to one of worst parts of finglas-lucky theres high fences and gates.theres always a rough element shopping in tesco,if you go late at night theres less of them.

Hmmm. Never had a problem in Tesco Clearwater. Don't agree that there's always a rough element shopping there. Depends I suppose on your definition of rough. But you're hardly going to be in any danger in a supermarket aisle!

If you are referring to Finglas South, is it really that bad? Think things have settled down there since the good old days!

Back