Health Insurance Fairdeal - income/asset split in the case of a couple

AQuery

Hi,

Please consider the following scenario: a retired married couple, where each has two state pension (English and Irish for different amounts), and the man has two other pensions from employment in his name only. The couple have their own home (registered in both names), and own some farming land (valued about 70K) which he inherited from his mother/brother when they died. This land is registered in his name only. They also have some prize bonds registered in joint names.

While in good health, all income and outgoings were treated as jointly owned (joint account etc, no division of monies etc). The man however is in declining health. He is still at home, being cared for by his wife and home help and other family members at times - but may need nursing home care in the near future. For the fair deal, how is the income considered - is it a case of 80% of half of the their joint pensions? Or as the applicant is his pensions considered "his" only, and therefore it is 80% of what could be 80% of their joint income?
It might be clearer if I give some rough figures:

His pensions per month = 2500
Her pensions per month = 500.

Total income = 3000.

So will the fairdeal take 80% of 1500, or 80% of 2500?
And if the woman was the applicant, then it would be 80% of 500?

What about the land valued at 70K, how is this treated by the Fairdeal?

Thank you.

His pensions per month = 2500
Her pensions per month = 500.

Total income = 3000.

So will the fairdeal take 80% of 1500, or 80% of 2500?
And if the woman was the applicant, then it would be 80% of 500?

What about the land valued at 70K, how is this treated by the Fairdeal?

Thank you.

The financial assesemnt will be based on joint income, i.e 80% of €1,500. Cash savings and investments will be assessed at 7.5% per annum over €36,000[half the €72k exemption limit for a couple]. Family Home will be assessed at 7.5% of half the value for 3 years only. Farm will also be assessed at 7.5% p.a. indefinitely unless certain conditions are met, i.e.
1. the person has suffered a sudden illness or disability which causes them to need long-term nursing home care, AND
2. the person or partner was actively engaged in the daily management of a the farm or business up until the time of sudden illness or disability, AND
3. a family successor certifies that he or she will continue the management of the farm or business
in which case the 7.5 will cease after 3 years also.

I gather there are changes coming in the scheme but that is the current position.

Thank you for your help.

The agricultural land is rented for a nominal fee to a distant relation; so 50% of the rental income and 50% of the value of the land will be in the respective "fairdeal pots", I assume.

Thank you for your help.

The agricultural land is rented for a nominal fee to a distant relation; so 50% of the rental income and 50% of the value of the land will be in the respective "fairdeal pots", I assume.
Sorry, missed this. Yes, I think that would be correct.

Back