Health Insurance Fair Deal Scheme

Carpediem

Can you advise please,

My mother has dementia and a number of underlying health issues which means she requires 24 hour care. I have been taking care of her to date but her condition has deteriorated significantly in recent weeks and she now needs nursing home care as suggested by a multidisciplinary medical team.

The Fair Deal scheme has been applied for and a suitable nursing home has a place for her, however the contributions she is expected to make is €500 per week towards the care. This is for the most part based on assets that she transferred to my brother (as sole beneficiary) two years ago. Sadly my brother is against her going to a nursing home and at the same time is not in a position to provide support in any meaningful way towards our mothers long term care needs. Sadly my brother refuses to contribute to costs and is doing everything to prevent any assets being used to support our mother.

I'm not in a position to cover the cost and a loan will need to be applied for from the nursing home payable on our mothers death. How will the costs be recovered given that assets were transferred two years ago? Will my mother be refused the nursing home support? and will I be left with the debt of her ongoing long term care?

What an awful mess!

Whose bright idea was it to transfer the assets ?

Can the transfer be undone?

Was it done with the intention of avoiding nursing home fees?

Would it be fair for there to be no come back against someone's assets in a case like this?

We might as well all go and transfer all our assets to someone who won't look after us when it all comes to it!

mf

Sad to hear this, been through the fair deal scheme and it worked well for us. All I can say is that any assets "transferred" must have been done so 5 years before entering the fair deal scheme so sadly there is no way out of the valuation, otherwise everyone would transfer their assets before going into the scheme. I can only suggest getting legal advice as your brother doesn't want to contribute towards her care

Back