Health Insurance Fair Deal query.

Westgolf

Hi All,

My mother is resident in a nursing home, under the fair deal scheme. I understand that if we her family contribute towards her upkeep we can claim a percentage against tax. However my question is this : My mother contributes an amount to the nursing home, on top of what the fair deal scheme pays. Can she claim tax relief on this ? She is of the opinion that she cannot but I'm not 100% sure of the position.

Any information would be welcome.

Westgolf

Does your mother pay income tax at all ? Do you measn her part of the contribution for the first three years ?

Does your mother pay income tax at all ? Do you measn her part of the contribution for the first three years ?
She has no income apart from the pension. The payment I'm referring to is the amount she pays each month which covers the difference between the fair deal and the actual cost and also the little extras that arise on an ongoing basis.

westgolf

If you mean she is receiving the social welfare pension only, then there is no tax to reclaim. The 20% left after Fair Deal contribution is deducted is meant to cover incidentals and personal items.

If her pension comes from another source or both, there may be scope to reclaim tax on the 80%.

Back