FAI incoming Manager

dewdrop

in view of all the harsh criticism that has been levelled at the fai in the past i wonder will these critics now be big enough to withdraw all their censures and learn a lesson

What lesson?
That the way forward is a 68 year old, currently working in Austrian club football?

I've no gripe with the FAI, maybe my cynicism stems from the euphoria in Scotland when we "snared" the (in)famous Berti Vogts.

I sincerely hope for better than that!

What lesson?
That the way forward is a 68 year old, currently working in Austrian club football?
To manage a bunch of spolit brat overpaid players who implicitly threaten to strike or "retire" if they don't get the manager of their own choosing? :rolleyes:

in view of all the harsh criticism that has been levelled at the fai in the past i wonder will these critics now be big enough to withdraw all their censures and learn a lesson

Considering the 3 'kingmakers' that were appointed weren't the ones to approach Trappatoni and that he seems to have fallen into our laps rather than been poached by our association. The 3 kingmakers were a joke, Don Givens is a joke and Delaney wants the pay packet but none of the responsibilty, am i missing anything?. What lesson is to be learned from observing how the fai operate? Maybe how not to operate a professional association?

Considering the 3 'kingmakers' that were appointed weren't the ones to approach Trappatoni and that he seems to have fallen into our laps rather than been poached by our association. The 3 kingmakers were a joke, Don Givens is a joke and Delaney wants the pay packet but none of the responsibilty, am i missing anything?. What lesson is to be learned from observing how the fai operate? Maybe how not to operate a professional association?

Get them(FAI blazers) all out as Keano says !!!!

dunphy has told keano to shut his beal

Dunphy changes his mind so often its hard to take him seriously. Last year 'Ronaldo's a clown' this year 'Ronaldo's world class'. He has a column to write in fairness so he has to keep hiself employable.

Dunphy changes his mind so often its hard to take him seriously. Last year 'Ronaldo's a clown' this year 'Ronaldo's world class'. He has a column to write in fairness so he has to keep hiself employable.
Or his dismissal of/objections to the Premier League on tour outside England proposals but his previous championing of the Dublin Dons... :rolleyes:

Oh the FAI are so great they even let Denis O'Brien fund Trappatoni's appointment...

interesting to note the difference in attitude from the establishment to this appointment and the last one. The knives were into Staunton from day one and while his appointment was a poorly judged one - we don't yet know how the new one will fare out but its interesting to see the attitude of the D4 brigade. in the rte news tonight there was coverage of a terrible murder in Donegal, a serious charge in court relating to a murder commited a few years ago, but the Trapattoni new preceeded this. and they were gushing in their enthusiasm for this appointment. we are all hoping like crazy he can delivery the goods but I think it was unfair they way the media had it in for Staunton from day 1, and in the end I agree he had to go, mainly because the players let him down and he didn't know how to handle them.

but the Trapattoni new preceeded this. and they were gushing in their enthusiasm for this appointment. we are all hoping like crazy he can delivery the goods but I think it was unfair they way the media had it in for Staunton from day 1, and in the end I agree he had to go, mainly because the players let him down and he didn't know how to handle them.
In fairness there is/was a gulf, no an ocean, in difference between Staunton's and Trappatoni's CV. One hadn't even managed an under -16 team while the other has won most of the major European trophies!

I don't know what a murder in Donegal had to to with his selection? The news doesn't show the stories in order of gravity but in order of impact/interest. The fact that we are discussing this an not the murder in LOS would seem to indicate that they (RTE) got it right

In fairness there is/was a gulf, no an ocean, in difference between Staunton's and Trappatoni's CV

Exactly, they aren't even from the same planet. Stan was a Trainee Manager (complete with a Supervisor in Bobby Robson) whereas Trap is an actual real live Manager with a CV only Alex Ferguson could top.

One hadn't even managed an under -16 team while the other has won most of the major European trophies!

Not most, all, he has the complete set from his time at Juve:

European Cup: 1985 (Runner-up: 1983)
Cup Winners' Cup: 1984
UEFA Cup : 1977, 1991 (with Inter), 1993
European Super Cup: 1984
Intercontinental Cup: 1985

Titles with Juventus, Inter, Bayern Munich, Benfica and Salzburg. He even won 2 European Cups as a player with AC Milan.

The one blot on his CV is his time as Italy's national coach which was deemed not great and I wonder if the opportunity to put one over Italy one of the reasons why the Irish job is appealing to him.

Marco Tardelli has agreed to join the management team as well.

Some may remember him scoring the 2nd goal for Italy in the 1982 world cup final. He is currently at Juventus as chairman as far as i can gather.

So thats Trappatoni, Gentile, Tardelli and possibly Brady too.

The whole affair is just so odd. How they "got their man", the funding of his salary, it just doesn't add up. But then again, if we want to become a developing country, we're on the way!

Back