Facebook - Fan page v Group page for business promoting

Fan page, absolutely.
That's the functionality they supply specifically for companies, brands, products and it very much tailored for that.
Pages link very closely with their Ad systems too.

I have a Page (not for a business) and here's an example of the sorts of feedback it gives you as the page owner: http://twitpic.com/1m0bbx

You'll need to create an account if you don't already have one, then add the page to that account, definitely don't create a profile with the business name, etc, as these have a habit of disappearing as they're against their policies.

Facebook

Thanks for that.. Read somewhere that a group was better which got me thinking. I felt the fan page was the way to go. Regarding not using a business name for your profile. Im searching as to how businesses can be a fan of a page using their business name and logo. How do they get away with this? One I saw had over 4000 fans! Is there anyway around this? Obviously I don't use FB for personal use but would like to invite businesses from my business name direct from FB rather than emailing the link which is what im doing. Thanks again

Well the profile you create (for yourself, technically) doesn't need to have any friends or any personal information on it, it just 'owns' the Page.
As for businesses setting themselves up with profiles as if they were people, I don't know what Facebook are going to do about those, but it is against their policies, and in the 'Report this profile' tab there's an option to report a profile because it's not a real person

I guess for you the real question is whether to set it up as a Page or as a Group and I'm not sure I can offer much guidance there. My own tendancy would be towards a Page, it seems more logical to me.
As a person, I'd *Like* ('become a fan of') a business or product, but would join a group based on a common theme (i.e a Page for 'John's Coffee Shop' but a group for 'Irish coffee lovers')

I presume there's some official info on facebook's site to explain all this to business owners, but i haven't seen that myself, I just sort of added these things as i saw them appear on my own friends' pages, good luck anyway :)

I'm trying to get my head around the difference between a group and a 'fan' page for a community group. I've tried setting up the group, but it looks like I don't have quite the fine level of control that I would like. I want to allow ME to post links, but not allow others to post links. But it seems that the 'post links' option is all or nothing - no user level control or special access for the group owner.

Will the fan page be any better for me?

Update: scratch that - found the option to have admin links only on the group page, so I'm going to persist with that for a while.

Re

Well explained Igy! Page it is! Ive also seen over on boards d confusion regarding people wanting to use their biz name instead of their personal name.. Surely FB would allow people to suggest their companies page with their company name. Example Im Coffee Machines Ireland and I'd like to suggest from Coffee Machines Ireland/Facebook to Johns Coffee Shop/Facebook to become a fan of our page. It would help businesses to interact on a professional level. I understand FB want you to advertise but the chances of the businesses/industry your trying to connect with seeing your ad are slim.

Thoughts?

Not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for, but check this page:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/manage/promo_guidelines.php

Which gives their rules and guidelines for how to promote pages outside Facebook, I've seen plenty of site that have a 'become our fan on facebook' buttons on their pre-existing website, e.g. here's the irish independent's page:
http://www.independent.ie/business/technology/follow-us-on-twitter-and-facebook-2022156.html

I know facebook supply little snippets of HTML and javascript you can put into your page to make it easier for people to become a fan right there on your own site, but I'm not sure exactly where to get them

Back