Facebook and Instagram subscription

DannyBoyD

Neither of these two are worth my paying a subscription fee; so I'm not going to do that.

But its not clear what control (if any) is being made available to users of the non ad-free version?

There's not enough information on the landing page thats presented.

Hi Danny

Is it the same for youtube?

Is there a Wikipedia type community where it's done for free?

Having said that, it must cost Facebook a lot of money to monitor the site.

Brendan
1699608150589.png

In the current version of instagram you can click onto an ad and say that you don't want to see this type of ad.

I know nothing about Instagram but Facebook is run incredibly badly. Its algorithms label and censor any disapproved mention of certain selected topics and also totally inappropriately mark quality content like Cormac Lucey's blog of his old Sunday Times articles as "spam".

And it's a minefield of account cloning and hacking.

I know nothing about Instagram but Facebook is run incredibly badly. Its algorithms label and censor any disapproved mention of certain selected topics and also totally inappropriately mark quality content like Cormac Lucey's blog of his old Sunday Times articles as "spam".

And it's a minefield of account cloning and hacking.
I don't know if it true or not but it used to be said that people living in Effin (in Limerick) used to have a lot of issues on getting anything done on Facebook!

To answer Danny’s question I cannot see anything in the settings where you can control anything about data collection or ads unless you subscribe. The lack of clarity on where to go in the settings to make any changes to privacy or data collection is very deliberate. Any time you click on more you are sent back in circles to read their policy, not turn on and off settings.

The subscription addition is purely to conform with EU data collecting regs. Once they have an ad free and data collection free option - even at a price - it means they conform. I don't think they expect many takers.

I agree Peemac, it is a very cynical and depressing move but perhaps it will cure me of my instagram addiction, having given up on Facebook years ago, but I do know they are connected.

I gave up on Facebook years ago - ditched Instagram too (both Meta now). Do i miss the ads, funny dog videos... etc ? Not a bit.

I gave up on Facebook years ago - ditched Instagram too (both Meta now). Do i miss the ads, funny dog videos... etc ? Not a bit.
I stopped using Facebook too in 2019 when I got a new phone. I deleted the App off my phone so I wouldn't be tempted back.
I was too socially inept for Facebook.
I forgot to log out though.

Back