Extra job dumped on me affecting my own job

thejuggler

I work a web developer with a company employing 1000 people in offices throughout Ireland.
Recently the IT administrator left the company and as things are tough right now he is not being replaced. The IT Manager divided his duties between two of us but said the company would not be willing to increase our salarys to compensate for the increased workload.
The other employee works as a purchaser and their own workload has decreased dramatically recently as there is less purchasing going on. However my job is as busy as ever.
I agreed to take on the extra duties for a trial period. The Manager said he was not making us take on the work but as good as said that it would be better for us if we did it as the company is actively laying off staff at present.
After 4 weeks the extra work has meant that I am constantly interrupted and struggle to get my own work done.
I'm thinking of telling my manager this but wonder if I will be giving him an excuse to let me go if I do. Should I speak to HR about it or go straight to my manager?

Why would you even consider going to HR without talking to your manager first?

I would talk to your manager first. Explain in factual terms what's happening and what the impact is on both jobs. Ideally have some suggestion on how to fix things, e.g. maybe you only do admin duties in the morning & so can focus on your other tasks in the afternoon, or maybe some of your web tasks can be delayed/postponed.
Good luck.

For sure take the others advice and go to your manager. Write down what your're issues are and what you're struggling with so that you can be focused when discussing the problems with your manager, maybe give suggestions about what duties you could do without, and suggest they be delegated to others. If your colleague the purchaser has more time on his/her hands maybe he could take some tasks from you. But be sure to give some suggestions of your own.

If you manager cannot help you then go to HR and let them know that you have discussed the issue with your manager and he/she did not resolve any issues.

They can only make you redundant if the job is being made redundant which doesn't sound like the case.

Ignore the other employee, take a step back and really consider if you can do your job and the additional duties before going to anyone. Also are you sure you have given this a fair trial?

Perhaps the additional jobs could be better time managed also there is a learnign curve!

The OP has stated in the orginal post that he/she has given it 4 weeks and is struggling and is as busy as ever!
I think the OP has already established that the extra workload is unmanageable...

Back