External Insulation reccommended company (Dublin)

anastasiablu

We have a 1994 built (by Nevilles) end of tce house that dosn't retain heat well. I have no idea if the house has cavity blocks or whatever else in the walls. I am investigating insulating the house. I have searched previous posts and there appears to be more cowboys than professionals available and large amounts of money involved.
1. Is it worth the money
2. Can anyone get a grant, is it dependant on income.
3. Where do you apply for the grant.
4. Is internal insulation better but messy.
5. Does putting on a storm porch make much difference.

Can anyone reccommend a contractor that won't fleece me?
Thanks

I was on here asking the same question a while back about and am in the middle of externally insulating my house. Cant really say whether its good or not yet as I'm not in there yet but its going to be an improvement as there wasnt a stitch of insulation in there before. We were doing internal renovations at the time so internal was also an option but I think from doing my research external is the better option. Its more expensive but if the company are registered with SEAI you can get a grant (check out www.seai.ie ) When I was deciding which to go with there was one thing that was sticking in mind from talking to contractors and engineers, and maybe I'm wrong on this, but here goes: Internal insulation will give improvements to your house although not as much as with external as you can be very limited internally with space to get the thickness of insulation. Also, I think getting internal insulation done right is quite difficult (ventilation/cold bridging etc) and with the AMOUNT of cowboys I had in giving me quotes I think there is more of a risk with this method.
As I said I am not in the house yet so cant vouch for my guys but this is rationale I used in making my decision.

My house is cavity block from 60's so was suited to external. I would think that a 1994 house has some level of insulation in there (maybe I'm wrong) so there are the options of pumping the cavity if there is one. There might not be much space to fill but might make the house more air tight and could be a cheap option. Do you have any idea?

No, I don't know, and this is where my worry about cowboys comes in, I could be told anything and would not be in a position to know if I was being told the truth or not. Thanks for your help.

We have a 1994 built (by Nevilles) end of tce house that dosn't retain heat well. I have no idea if the house has cavity blocks or whatever else in the walls. I am investigating insulating the house. I have searched previous posts and there appears to be more cowboys than professionals available and large amounts of money involved.
1. Is it worth the money
2. Can anyone get a grant, is it dependant on income.
3. Where do you apply for the grant.
4. Is internal insulation better but messy.
5. Does putting on a storm porch make much difference.

Can anyone reccommend a contractor that won't fleece me?
Thanks

I had External Insulation done earlier in year and will try to answer your questions.
1) Due to first real cold spell we are having I can now definetely say that yes it is worth it.House retains heat much better and I find we are turning heat down rather then up.Only time will tell how much we save over a whole heating season.
2)As far as I know once u use an approved SEAI installer u will get the grant
3) Approved installer will fill out the application with u-as far as I remember u can download form fron SEAI website.
4) I once had a kitchen renovation and had them put in internal insulated plasterboard.It was extremely messy and I think to have a whole house done while u live in it would be a nighmare.External is less messy-u just have to put up with scaffolding for several weeks.

Hope this helps.

Feel free to post so that others may benefit.
Leo
Well okay if u say so.The company I used was
http://insulateyourhome.ie/

I am just a satisfied customer.Just be prepared for scaffolding around your house for longer then anticipated....around 6 weeks in our case...weather of course is a factor....as far as I remember they cant do this work when it is very cold but in our case rain was a problem at times.
But they know what they are doing and the main guy Kevin was good to deal with and sorted any minor problems quickly.They are on the SEAI list.

Back