Extension - Where to start!

zippidydo

Hi, I am going to build an extension to the back of my house. It will be small, 22 sq m - Small dining room with utility/wc. It will have double patio door out to garden with probably 3 long windows all on one side and the rest will be brick walls with standard roof. I wont need planning permission but should I get a builder in first to run through the build and get some advice? I intend to get around 5 quotes to compare and have a couple of builders in mind locally that have a good reputation but just not sure where to start, would the builder expect me to have plans when he comes to discuss the build?
Would I need to get plans/drawings done for a standard build like this or should a registered builder be enough to stick to building regulations etc? Will want a builders finish as I will get flooring, tiling, painting etc done separately. Also, any idea on prices in the midlands at the moment?

...a registered builder...

You may be waiting a little while to get one of them! :) No such thing.

Get yourself an architect or architectural technician to advise you (also getting confirmation that you do not require planning permission...as you suggest), and, I would suggest, that at least get them to draw up some basic plans for you/prepare a basic specification then approach builders to get prices/quotes.

If you approach builders without plans/specifications, you will get 'apples and oranges' type quotes (i.e. hard to compare) as each builder will have their own idea how the extension might be built.

Back