Extension quote

igloo

Dormer detatched bungalow in the sticks, we have plans for a 410 sq ft extension and requested 5 builders to quote to a finish - supply materials, complete all works and leave the house ready for use incl new kitchen. First quote in - €110k (incl. VAT). Thats a whopping €268 a square foot!!! Surely they misread the plans....

We had 3 quotes recently for an extension and a garage - 60 thousand down to 39 thousand, big difference, wait for all the quotes in, cheapest isn't always best in fairness but you should use your gut feeling when talking with the builders and it's important to make sure you can get along with them in case of difficulties later on !

id say its the bit about leaving the house ready for use incl new kitchen that is causing the huge price. most builders dont usually get involved in that stuff and are probably bumping up the price to cover themselves you'd be better off to ask a builder to put up the shell and finish at the plastering stage, then organise the tiling/decorating/kitchen seperately. i just had a builder add about a thousand sq.ft to my house for 75k incl 13.5% vat but excl decorating/plumbing/electrics which i did myself.

XT I hear what you are saying. If the other quotes are similar we might ask for a price for builders finish and do the rest by direct labour.

Back