Extension of an appearance

whiskey1

Is it normal practice for a solicitor to look for an time extension (12 days)to put in an appearance to a civil bill past the ten days deadline?

Does the 12 days extension being looked for mean 12 working days? Likewise does the 10 days to put in an appearance mean 10 working days?

The time limits for appearances are calendar days. It is very common to look for an extension and also common to grant it as it means the case can then proceed without having to resort to Motions.

Thanks for your reply. If the solicitor for the defendant is looking for an extension to put in an appearance does he/she need to ask me for a letter of consent (I am bringing the case myself)to this request? I would have thought if the solicitor was looking for an extension it would be for him/her to ask the courts for the extension.

Thanks for your reply. If the solicitor for the defendant is looking for an extension to put in an appearance does he/she need to ask me for a letter of consent (I am bringing the case myself)to this request? I would have thought if the solicitor was looking for an extension it would be for him/her to ask the courts for the extension.

The courts would grant them time to file an appearance. If you make them apply to Court for that order, they should look for their costs. So, just give them the letter of consent.

It is much better to look at the process as an opportunity to have the matter adjudicated by the court ( if you cannot reach settlement) rather than playing games to prevent them trying to deal with the issue.

mf

Correct you have absolutely nothing to gain by refusing to give the letter.

It's normal practice in litigation. Plaintiff solicitors will do it always.

Back