extending room - get an architect or not?

emmapeel

Hi, I want to extend my sitting room at the back of our house by 10 to 12 feet approx, because of an extention of that lenght having been built by neighbour, which renders my patio area redundant (between neighbour's extension and my narrow kitchen extension to the right (neighbour is on our left), so my new extension will be taking up the space between the two. Please let me know how to proceed. Do I need an architect or do I just call a builder? I am assuming it will be a relatively small project. All advice much welcomed. Thank you.

i would not employ an architect for such a small project. If you get a reputable builder he will do plans for you. For that size you should not need planning.

i would not employ an architect for such a small project. If you get a reputable builder he will do plans for you. For that size you should not need planning.
if you get three 'reputable builders' to price this work, how do you know they are quoting for the same thing? to the same finish and including what exactly? if you get an arch they will prepare a drawing & spec, ensure planning and building regs are meet, help decipher the best quote, ensure the ext is built as per that dwg and spec.

thank you all. i am still a bit confused as i have heard so many horrific stories of people who had awful problems with builders, even though they were regarded as reputable. is there s list of trusted builders i can get hold of i wonder. i am on a very tight budget and i cannot afford for things not to be done right first time...

Back