extending probationary period

shopgirl

A friend has had his probationary period extended by a couple of months however the letter informing him of this doesn't actually list any reasons for it. (The manager has a reputation for doing this and has actually caused 2 people to leave because they were afraid they would be pushed) Can they do this and give vague opinions as to why they are doing it, surely they need valid reasons not just an excuse. Thanks in advance.

Probation periods normally do not go beyond 12 months. When extending a probationary period, the manager should explain the reason for the decision. Those reasons should be of no surprise to the employee, as there would have been other meetings leading up to this point.

A probation period can be anything from 4 -11 months in one period. After that point it can be extended but not to a period of more than 2 years. A manager would normally have raised issues with an employee during their prob period as to their performance and then at the end of probation period extended it if required. If your friend has not been given reasons for this they should question their manager. They should check their contract but normally during prob periods minimum notice is required from the employer to release the employee from their contract, your friends employer could be looking for an easy way out of retaining an permananent employee.

My apologies, where did you get the 2 years from.The Unfair Dismissals Act provided that the probationary period cannot be longer than twelve months.

My apologies, where did you get the 2 years from.The Unfair Dismissals Act provided that the probationary period cannot be longer than twelve months.
I thought the standard for new civil servants (in the days when there were new civil servants) was two years?

I thought the standard for new civil servants (in the days when there were new civil servants) was two years?
It was, but since the unfair dismissals rules now also apply in the civil service, it has been reduced to 1 year, and cannot be extended. It changed about two and a half years ago.

It was, but since the unfair dismissals rules now also apply in the civil service, it has been reduced to 1 year, and cannot be extended. It changed about two and a half years ago.
Thanks for the clarification

I worked in a job where after my 6 months probationary period was up I had my review. The manager informed me he was extending my probationary period by a further 6 months. I had no idea this was coming as there were no issues raised previously in relation to my performance. I was informed that my line supervisor had issues with me as well as my co-workers. I knew my line supervisor "disliked" me and a collegue even commented on how she spoke to me, I didnt tackle the issue but worked away being professional at all times. I left the job in the end, right or wrong, I dont regret it. I would advise though have a meeting, get any issues out in the open out in the open, dont try to 2nd guess what is going on.

My understanding is a probationary period can be extended but there has to valid reasons.

We extend probationary periods for maternity leave, long term isck leave, unpaid leave. You have to outline the reason and the lenght in writing to the employee.

Having a genral dislike for someone would not be a valid reason.

None of those are considered to extend the probationary period.

The one year is time spent actually on the job. In those cases you haven't actually been there & so your performance couldn't be assessed. If you are there 9 months and go on maternity, sick leave etc, when you get back you have 3 months left on your probation.

What you can't do anymore is say that a person is performing below standard, but that they might improve in another 6 months, and then extend the probation. At the end of one year, you have to decide yay or nay, no messing about.

Back