Extending Planning Permission

T

travis

Hello all
2 questions...

I had planning permission for 5 years for a conversion of house into 3 apartments but wamt to mothball the conversion given the economic climate. The PP runs out end of year and want to ask does anyone have any experience of applying for extension and how long is possible?

Also if I dont get an extension, can the 12k+ required contributions I paid to local borough council be clawed back

Thanks in advanced
Travis

Off the top of my head:

------------------------------------

You may apply to extend an existing permission in certain circumstances to allow you to finish out work once its been commenced and completed substantially.
You can apply for the extension once its within a year of the expiry date of the grant of permission.
However, it appears that you haven't started yet so unless you have substantial work completed by years end I'm not certain that extending the permission applies to you.

I think you'll need to re-apply but the simplest thing to do is contact your area planning officer and discuss the matter.
The planners should be able to advise of any loopholes and the fact you paid the levies may assist you.
You might consider that conversions are labour-intensive and labour rates are low now.

------------------------------------

At one stage you could claim a refund of special levies if the local authority didn't proceed with the works for which the monies were levied.
http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/Planning/FileDownLoad,1602,en.doc

The only claw-backs I am familiar with relate to the refund of planning application fees of the second application is made within a certain period of time from the first application.
The amount returned is of the order of 75% but certain criteria must be met - it must be a substantially similar application on the same site.

I've never come across a developer that paid them before starting and followed up by not starting.
Usually they are paid on the date of commencement if then and more often than not the Council have to chase them.
I'm not sure there is a mechanism for getting levies back once they're paid.
You could contact the Bonds section of the Council and ask them.

FWIW

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

All advice on AAM is remote from the situation and cannot be relied upon as a defence or support - in and of itself - should legal action be taken.
Competent legal and building professionals should be asked to advise in Real Life with rights to inspect and issue reports on the matters at hand.

Back