Expanding foam - A right mess Need help

Mary Jones

Hi all DH was told to fill the gaps between window and stonework with expanding foam - it was impossible and it stuck to everything it touched in sight been there a long time now and it's an eye sore how can I get rid of it of the stonework!

Wire brush.

You could use my fav tool a steam cleaner and a wire brush.

Someone told me before it comes off with cellelose thinners or you could try nitromorse.

If they fail use dynamite.

The official solution is acetone, but that doesn't work too well in my experience.

It does work when the foam is still wet but its still a total nightmare to remove anyway.

To the OP
Maybe a sand blaster might work but you will need to protect your windows with a board of some kind.

Expanding foam is great for sticking stuff together and there's a glue based on it I think its called gorilla glue or something like that.

Expanding foam is great for sticking stuff together and there's a glue based on it I think its called gorilla glue or something like that.
Certainly is gorilla glue. It's great for mending children's toys, but make sure you clean up the bits as soon as it starts to go tacky. It sets like concrete otherwise.

saw a programmed, DIY one on bbc once, the guy had a tin of the spray foam, he said use it upside down and only spray a little and at the same time have a water sprayer thing, like you would use when ironing or spraying flowers with water, when u have the hole filled , spray the water and the foam stops expanding, resulting in no sticky mess coz it wont stop getting bigger lol...never tried it but worth a try,

phil

When using expanding foam ,use an applicator gun €20 and cartridges .You can regulate/ aim/ reach where it needs to be and saves the amount of waste that goes with using the other cans.A solvent cleaner is also available for the foam gun which also helps with clean up .It is more effective with fresh foam as against set but will help all the same.
You can get these it any builders providers

go to proper builder supply you can buy cans of expanding foam remover they definetly have it in brooks

Back