Execution Only Brokers & Also Best Mixed Asset Fund(s)

irishman2020

I have two separate questions, apologies for rolling them into one post.

I'm only aware of two execution only brokers for lump sum investments in Irish LifeCo Funds, namely Gerard Sheehy (bond.ie) and also Liam Ferguson (fearga.com). Just wondering are there other execution -only brokers out there as well? I know LA Brokers and MyAdvisor provided these services in the past, but seem to have stopped providing this service.

In terms of best mixed asset funds from Irish LifeCos, I currently have funds in Zurich's Prisma 3 & Prisma 4 funds. Are their other mixed asset funds that people would recommend ?

Thanks for any help with this. I'm aware of ETFs etc being lower cost etc etc but don't want the administration that comes with these.

Probably not the best person to be replying to this but, since no one else has, I'll give it a go.

The execution only market is small. You might get the impression from AAM that it's bigger that it actually is becuase this is where a lot of those potential clients come to educate themselves. I don't know why other intermediaries choose not to do it but it's probably for financial reasons. The advisory market is very buoyant.

I think Davy do some of it but my guess (after recent increases in PRSA prices) is that they're just not interested in 'small' (to them) clients. Standard Life are dabbling in it but (from some posts on here) it's very hit and miss as to whether they'll do it for you. I honestly think that Pheonix will look at the time and resources being allocated to this current facility and stop doing it.

Then there's this which may scupper the way this type of business is done currently. That kind of uncertainty would probably put a new entrant off. I don't really have any confidence in, what I recently saw described as, Europe's regulation fetish. Particularly in financial services. PRIIPs is just not fit for purpose, it serves to confuse more than bring clarity.

As regards 'best' mixed asset fund. We all want to choose what we think will be the best one but we've only got the charges, transparent pricing, suitability to risk profile and past performance to go on. I had a look at a few past performance 'comparison' documents issued by providers and other collators of such infomation for multi-asset funds and they really are not comparing like-with-like. Best bet would be to choose two products with low charges and then analyse the funds from both that are in synch with the risk you're willing to take.

Gerard

www.bond.ie

Last edited:
I think Davy do some of it but my guess (after recent increases in PRSA prices) is that they're just not interested in 'small' (to them) clients.
I have an execution only account with Davy for buying and selling shares.

I am less than happy with their service.

I place an order to buy or sell. I am not sure how Davy deal with this after I place the order. It seems that it is all automatic. My order is put out there somewhere and it is either filled or not. I do not know if Davy monitor my order at any stage during the day.

Recently, I am not having any luck filling my orders......buys or sells. They just "expire" at close of business. I constantly have to log back in to my account throughout the day to see if my order has been executed. When I am logged in to my account it is not updated. I actually have to close my account and then re-open my account to get an update.

I do not know why I am not successful in my buys and sells with Davy. I check live prices for various shares throughout the day and my asking price is in line with these.

I am paying large commission to Davy for a service that is not working for me. My orders range €80k to €200k. Ftse 100 or Ftse 250.

I understand that the market makers may not have the shares that I want to buy and not interested in the shares that I have to sell.

Bring back Campbell O'Connor. I never had a problem completing any order when I did business with them.

I am looking for an alternative at this stage.

I place an order to buy or sell. I am not sure how Davy deal with this after I place the order. It seems that it is all automatic. My order is put out there somewhere and it is either filled or not. I do not know if Davy monitor my order at any stage during the day.

Recently, I am not having any luck filling my orders......buys or sells. They just "expire" at close of business. I constantly have to log back in to my account throughout the day to see if my order has been executed. When I am logged in to my account it is not updated. I actually have to close my account and then re-open my account to get an update.

I do not know why I am not successful in my buys and sells with Davy. I check live prices for various shares throughout the day and my asking price is in line with these.

I am paying large commission to Davy for a service that is not working for me. My orders range €80k to €200k. Ftse 100 or Ftse 250.

I understand that the market makers may not have the shares that I want to buy and not interested in the shares that I have to sell.

Bring back Campbell O'Connor. I never had a problem completing any order when I did business with them.

Execution only stockbroking is a different service to an execution only insurance broker service.

What are you doing, putting on limit orders?

I’ve had no problems fulfilling my buy/sell orders with Davy….agree there charges are way too high for an execution only account.
I wonder is it anything to do with the size of my trades. Placing an order to purchase 40,000 shares when most trades throughout the day are for much smaller trades?

Maybe I should break them down in to multiple smaller trades?

I wonder is it anything to do with the size of my trades. Placing an order to purchase 40,000 shares when most trades throughout the day are for much smaller trades?

Maybe I should break them down in to multiple smaller trades?

Are there sufficient volumes in those stocks to fulfill your orders?

Are there sufficient volumes in those stocks to fulfill your orders?
They are FTSE 100 & FTSE 250 stocks. I don't think that they are tightly held. I do put a limit order on them but it is not unreasonable as the price often hits the limit throughout the day.

I am more interested to know how Davy deal with an execution only order to buy/sell. Do they just put it out there, without anyone checking in on it and if a market maker wants to deal then it happens, otherwise it just expires. Do Davy actively try and complete the order?

They are charging a hefty commission on my orders.

Back