excessive cold in office

TigerNow

hi there,

I was wondering what I can do in this situation : I work in an office ( a new building ) where the air conditioning is not working properly. We have been in this office about 6 months now, and nothing much has been done to rectify the problem.
At the moment when the weather is cold outside ( such as today ) the air conditioning comes into full swing and where myself and others sit we are freezing as there is a constand and very cold draught coming down on top of our backs.

We have complained repeatedly in the last 6 months but nothing has changed.
I am not usre what the exact temperature is , but we are all having to sit here with our coats and jackets on, and we are still very cold. At this stage I am willing to take the issue further in order to get them to rectify the probem, but I don't knwo what steps I can take or what my entitlements are ( at the moment I feel like walking out and going home ! ) . Surely this is a Helath and Safety issue which they should be trying to resolve ? Is there an agency or somewhere where I can make a complains which will then be followed up on ?

Thanks for any information you can offer

Have you tried caling the HSA?
Are you (your company) a tenant in a building or is it owned by your employer?

thanks Purple. I will contact the HSA .

the company is subletting a floor of a building from another company. Basically the main company says it is up to us to fix it, and the cost is about 5k to get something replaced. But at this stage they will have to do something as it is not comfortable.

thanks for the name of the agency !

I don't know if the HSA are the ones to sort this out but that's where I would start and they should be able to point you in the right direction if they can't help you.
If the place is freezing then it's up to the landlord to fix it, not the tenant.

We have working A/C in our office....people who wear the lightest clothes possible are constantly complaining about being cold....our a/c is now set at 25. it is incredibly hot most days. I mean, its not on to say yo uare cold if you only have t-shirt on. Likewsie, you can't say you are too warm if you still have an aran sweater on.

Seeing that HSA website quoting 17.5 will see me elevating my complaints to shouts at HR.

Can anyone help me....our factory has been around 26-27 Degrees for the past week or so.There's no air conditioning or chance of getting it.I got onto the HSA but they only have guidelines for cold temperature,nothing for high temperatures.26 Degrees is fine by a pool with a beer in your hand,not when your moving around a lot with a protective coat on!

Thanks God there's a bit of good weather and lash on the Rightguard pennypincher.

In order to make any sort of case, first get some good inforamtion. As was suggested earlier get a good thermometer and place it in a reasonable place. I would say don't be tempted to put it in direct sunlight to prove your point instead do the opposite make sure you don't over play you hand put it in the shade under your desk if need be. Leave it in situ at all times. That will give you a base line. At the same time measure or monitor the outside temperature. By looking at these set of numbers together you'll establish if the two are related (it may sound obvious but without the corrolation ...) armed with good evidence and wth a resonable attitude your case will be credible. Documunet all you present and make sure all replies are kept.

The oldest trick in management is to deny the past and affect mock indignation when a problem comes to light. This issue may not be resolved this summer,but IMHO the thing to do is establish a firm record ASAP so that the clock is ticking right way.

I know my suggestion is somewhat long term but given the nature of these things I would sooner assume the worst.

Hope this is helpful

QP

Back