ex partner(polish)...my rights after birth of child?

D

delboy11

to keep a long story short, met and fell in love with a polish girl a year ago( i am an irish guy)....all was perfect for 6-8 months....6 months ago we had an unplanned pregnancy and we agreed to bring the child into the world and one way or another i was happy to support her and child.
then 2 months ago, 3-4 months into the pregnancy she wanted out of the relationship and after some reluctance i agreed..........since then he has hitched up with a former ex, another irish man was recently asked her to marry which she rejected.

my questions concern my plans for the future and my rights to the child.

she plans to give birth to the child in ireland, so i assume the child will be an irish citizen.

do i need to establish some sort of visiting rights now in advance of birth or is it better to wait until after birth?
what sort of maintenance i am expected to pay in the lead up to and post birth or the mother(she has a job)?

a real crux question........and it is a possibility...in a few years time if the mother decides she wants to return to poland to bring up the child, do i have the legal right to prevent her leaving ireland with the child, if that is my wish.....as if she leaves these shores i would guess my access to the child would be very limited if i remain in ireland.?

in the event that the mother decides to give birth in poland....where do i stand rights wise in these circumstances?

a handful of questions someone with experience may help teases out the correct answers please?

You should try to become guardian of your child by agreement with the mother. If she doesn't agree you can apply to court to become guardian. If you're a guardian you'll have a say in things like removal of your child from the jurisdiction. If you're not, you won't have any rights even if you're named on the birth cert. There's no reason why you wouldn't be granted guardianship by the courts if you haven't behaved in an unreasonable manner If the mother leaves the country before the baby is born it might be very difficult as you'll be dealing with the polish legal system.

Oh by the way, maintenance is dependant on what you can afford. Be sure to have records of payment I.e. Don't hand over cash.

Back