Eurovision 2024 and all that . . .

Leper

I've watched and enjoyed the two semi finals and enjoyed them. Ireland could win this!!!!!!! - I felt sorry for the Belgian entry last night, the singer delivered a beautiful song magnificently and failed to qualify.

I'll have to watch the final of Eurovision on the Plus One as Cork have a date with Limerick in the SuperValu and for me it could turn out Ugly.

We'll be voting for Israel.

I've watched and enjoyed the two semi finals and enjoyed them. Ireland could win this!!!!!!! - I felt sorry for the Belgian entry last night, the singer delivered a beautiful song magnificently and failed to qualify.

I'll have to watch the final of Eurovision on the Plus One as Cork have a date with Limerick in the SuperValu and for me it could turn out Ugly.

"Cork have a date with Limerick in the SuperValu" - sounds like two mobs about to have a fight in the Supervalu cark park :)
Gonna take me a while to get used to the name.

I've given up trying to get any feel for what songs will and won't qualify, Eurovision preferences so unpredictable.
I thought the Belgian song started very shakily, the chorus was strong, so I was not surprised when I didn't qualify.
I was surprised Denmark did not qualify, and I was surprised Norway and Georgia did. The Georgian song seemed like a mish-mash of about 6 other songs. The Norwegian entry was technically impressive but sounded like a movie soundtrack piece.
The first Semi Final seemed to be stronger than the second.

The Latvian song is co-written by a Mayo man, it is a decent song but I think it will be lost in the final - probably happy to have qualified.

The Ukraine song is frustrating, for most of it it is a well sung song but there is a sort of urban rap interlude which I think will damage its chances of winning.
There are reports online that Israel got 40% of the Italian televote, the next nearest song at 8%... so there could be some political voting there. The song is ok but not outstanding to that extent. But in the final that will be diluted by the juries and the greater numbers voting in the final. So I've no real idea where Israel will end up.

Croatia is the clear favourite but I don't really get why! One part of it is catchy but not especially so compared to previous years winners.

The Finnish song, well, it is more like an Austen Powers Eurovision sketch, is wacky and fun.
The Netherlands song is also a bit tongue in cheek Eurovision homage.

The running order for the final has been set.
Sweden will open the show but they are not considered strong contenders this year.
Ukraine are in #2 which people think is a poor slot, although voting opens now when the show starts unlike previous years.
Netherlands #5, Israel are #6 and Ireland are #10 which are not great slots.
Croatia are in prime position towards the end #23.
Austria will close the show but both the singer and song really remind me of Whigfield! They may do better than expected.

It is a pretty open competition this year because usually Sweden and some of the Big 5 (Italy, France, UK, Spain, Germany) have strong entries but this year I don't see any of them winning.

Last edited:

I haven't watched it in years. My kids have no interest in it and none of my gay friends invite me to their Eurovision parties so I give it a miss.
I listened to the Irish song on Spotify. It's grand but it won't win. I might give Israel a vote this year for the craic. I'd love them to win just to see the reaction on RTE.

If Israel win it could just be a sympathy vote.. I would be very surprised if Ireland finish in the top ten... Regardless, I will not be watching.. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Neither will I @joer.

I don't know why Israel is even in the contest.

Why doesn't it and Turkey start off a song for Asia and Australia a song for Oceania?

I don't know why it's even called the Eurovision song contest any more . I understand that the world is changing all the time and I could be wrong but there is nothing Euro about either Australia or Israel..... Perhaps next year some American or African or Asian countries will be involved.. What will it be called then I wonder.........OFF maybe :cool:

I realize that. The same goes for countries such as Azerbaijan and Georgia. Other eligible Middle East, African and Asian countries have chosen not to participate.

What if they did?

The contest would be a mind-deadening marathon.

Why continue to call it Eurovision?

Incidentally, the most successful song - as opposed to the singer(s) is still the 1958 entry, Nel Blu, Dipinto Di Blu (Volare), for Italy.

Last edited:
Backed Bambi this morning on the exchange @ 36/1 and laid off the bet this afternoon @ 26/1....so playing with the bookies money.
Free bet......."C'MON Bambi !!!"

Some of the acts are not suitable for younger kids viewing - it is of course past the watershed but I always watched it as a kid. Certainly not suitable for all ages now. We lost our way with the Dustin thing, whoever approved that should have been fired. Bambi song is quite decent though.

So in the end Switzerland won... remarkably they only came 4th in their SF televote, behind Armenia even.
France did better than expected, although Graham Norton mentioned that the vocal performance was stronger in the Saturday Final than the jury vote performance Friday so that may have counted against him.

Croatia could not overhaul the Swiss lead from the jury vote despite the massive televote for their earworm of a song.

Israel got 300 points on the televote but not enough to make up for middling scores from the juries.

A strong showing from Ukraine, although I'm still baffled while they interrupted a melodic song with a rap intermission.

Bambi Thug for Ireland gave it everything on stage, great performance and staging but it wasn't to be. Very poor scores on the jury vote from Eastern European countries, although we did well in Azerbaijan of all places.

Olly for the UK remarkably got 0 public votes and middling votes from the jury. I thought it would be the other way round. Fell into the trap of focusing too much on the staging that the vocals really suffered - he wasn't alone in that. He seemed to approach it as a music video.

Some surprising 12s from the juries for Portugal, the performance must have ticked some boxes.

Let's hope we send some better \ more interesting acts to EV in future now that we're back on the left side of the Finals table.

Last edited:
Israel only second in the popular vote, behind Croatia. They romped away with the SF which explains the huge, though ultimately misplaced, collapse in their betting. Ireland third in their semi-final behind only Croatia (better) and Ukraine (political).
Interesting that the popular vote for Israel was max 12 in those countries with big Muslim minorities (paradox), UK, France, Germany etc. Ireland gave them 10 in the popular vote with 12 to Croatia. German jury also gave Israel 10 votes, for Israel's largest supporter at 22 points combined - conscience?

Would be interesting to see the actual % vote rather than just points. Wonder how the vote would look with PR rather than FPTP.

I think those on this thread voicing their suppport for Israel and saying they would vote for Israel even if in jest should be ashamed of themselves. How can anybody voice support for Israel in full knowledge of their war crimes and the genocide they are committing. It is most disrespectful to the 14,000 murdered Palestian children over the past months. Shame on you and on the Irish public who voted for Israel. Your ignorance is no excuse.

Last edited:
If the public had two votes - one a plus vote and one a negative vote, then Israel would have got Nul popular points sharing that distinction with the UK.

Back