Eurovision 2023

Duke of Marmalade

France 12/1
Finland 5/2
Sweden 4/6
There is money to be made here. The above are the top three songs in PaddyPower's book. The rest seem to have no chance unless we get a repeat of Ukraine which Paddy rates as 11/1
Would contributors listen to these songs or just a bit of them. You might have to go to the beginning of the YouTube clip.
Then please advise which is the best bet. I am inclined towards France for the odds.

I'm not sure I see the money making opportunity. Converting those odds to probabilities, even the four you've mentioned alone sum to greater than 1. Add in the remaining songs, even at long odds, and Paddy is well on track to make a few bob from the punters. He usually does.

Well...

Not Finland.

The Swedish song I think they might struggle to reproduce live. It has a lot of studio \ production effects. I tried to find a live version of it and the singer is struggling with it. Could cost it jury votes.

I like the French song, but it could be eclipsed by Sweden if they pull the song off live.

Couldn't rule out a repeat of Ukraine sympathy vote either.

I'm not sure I see the money making opportunity. Converting those odds to probabilities, even the four you've mentioned alone sum to greater than 1. Add in the remaining songs, even at long odds, and Paddy is well on track to make a few bob from the punters. He usually does.
Actually if I do make a bet it will be on Betfair where France is currently trading at 20/1.
Has anybody any idea how they do it? I wouldn't have a clue from listening to the songs. The bookies are remarkably accurate - the winner usually comes from the top three in the betting.
BTW Ireland are the rank outsider to qualify tonight. 5.6/1 on Betfair to be in the top 10:oops:

Actually if I do make a bet it will be on Betfair where France is currently trading at 20/1.
Has anybody any idea how they do it? I wouldn't have a clue from listening to the songs. The bookies are remarkably accurate - the winner usually comes from the top three in the betting.
BTW Ireland are the rank outsider to qualify tonight. 5.6/1 on Betfair to be in the top 10:oops:
I suppose in Eurovision it's hard to see your country's song as other countries see it.

But I am a bit surprised Irish song predicted to finish dead last.

It's derivative but dead last... I don't see it.

It might not come last but what odds would you get on Ireland not getting through :oops:

It might not come last but what odds would you get on Ireland not getting through :oops:
Betfair are currently trading at 7.0/7.8. This mean that if you bet 1 that it will qualify and it does you will win 6.0. If you bet 6.8 that it will not qualify and it doesn't qualify you will win 1.0.

It has been pointed out there are a lot of similarities between the chorus of Irish entry "We are One" and "I Lived" by One Republic...
Juries not going to like that kind of thing.

I suppose in Eurovision it's hard to see your country's song as other countries see it.

But I am a bit surprised Irish song predicted to finish dead last.

It's derivative but dead last... I don't see it.
I'd be very surprised if it wasn't in the bottom 3. It's utter drivel and only got in because they made more "noise" and the band / members of the band were known.

The girl that came second had an excellent entry and it was identifiably "Irish" and would most likely have done very well.

We gets millions of European tourists every year that have "experiencing Irish music" as one of the highlights of their visit - and we send dreadful boring "pop lite" drivel.

Until RTE insist that every entrant must pay homage to the traditions of Irish music/ballad we will continue to be there to make up the numbers.

I'd be very surprised if it wasn't in the bottom 3. It's utter drivel and only got in because they made more "noise" and the band / members of the band were known.

The girl that came second had an excellent entry and it was identifiably "Irish" and would most likely have done very well.

We gets millions of European tourists every year that have "experiencing Irish music" as one of the highlights of their visit - and we send dreadful boring "pop lite" drivel.

Until RTE insist that every entrant must pay homage to the traditions of Irish music/ballad we will continue to be there to make up the numbers.
I think the song that came second was a much more interesting song but the singer seemed a bit shaky at times - dunno about her on big stage. Pity could not have pared up with a more experienced performer.

Off Topic but The Donald has gone out a half point in the Betfair betting to win the 2024 Presie election following his convisction by a jury of rape sexual assault Not a criminal offence, and of course a stitch up.

Edit: My Huaweii watch initially said it was "rape". It was no more than what The Donald has publicly boasted about.

Last edited:
So the vibe on Sweden is the vocals are still shaky - she tries to sign from the floor. The song isnt as good as Euphoria. But it is former winner Loreen who has a huge Eurovision profile so hard to see her not winning.

Finland put in a great mad performance and creative staging - they will get all the novelty type votes.

Dustin on stage!!!

Host Hannah had some fun:
We do appreciate you sticking your neck out... now off you go we can see your giblets.

Ireland should just bite the bullet and not enter the Eurovision at all......no song will be good enough it seems. It's a waste of time and money..
Ireland have missed out once again...

Last edited:
Ireland should just bite the bullet and not enter the Eurovision at all......no song will be good enough it seems. It's a waste of time and money..
When you send middle of the road pop drivel, that simply is not good enough, you do not qualify.

We have some of the best music and songwriters in the world, but while we still allow pre-teen kids do televoting to decide what is a song that represents the country is, we will remain as non qualifiers.

We got close this year to sending a song that was identifiably Irish, but she was beaten due to the voting system.

When you send middle of the road pop drivel, that simply is not good enough, you do not qualify.

We have some of the best music and songwriters in the world, but while we still allow pre-teen kids do televoting to decide what is a song that represents the country is, we will remain as non qualifiers.

We got close this year to sending a song that was identifiably Irish, but she was beaten due to the voting system.
If we have the some of the best singers and songwriters in the country then the question has to be asked why are they not getting involved in Eurovision. How many years is it now since we qualified, how many more years are we going to send singers knowing what is going to happen..

The WY singers voice is poor, to say the least, good performance from then and by no means the worst things on there last night but it was rather generic

I admit I don't watch the Eurovision (haven't in many years) but is the whole competition not a celebration of middle of the road pop drivel? Is the issue here not that we weren't dressed as wild boars or drag queens or some such? I personally wouldn't describe it as a music competition or celebration of good songs.

I admit I don't watch the Eurovision (haven't in many years) but is the whole competition not a celebration of middle of the road pop drivel? Is the issue here not that we weren't dressed as wild boars or drag queens or some such? I personally wouldn't describe it as a music competition or celebration of good songs.
There's a mix with Eurovision, I think that's why it gets such an audience.

There's a place in it for wacky \ madcap \ OTT songs - Moldova, Ukraine, Iceland often in this category.

There's a place in it for middle of the road pop, though to do well it needs to be catchy with good vocals - Scandinavians usually in this category.

And there's a place it for a really strong singer with a powerful ballad - France, Switzerland, Italy often in this category.

You need to stand out from those 'packs' and Ireland hasn't done so sufficiently. IF the song was good the performance was poor, or vice versa, or both were poor.
I do think we're at a disadvantage to other countries that we don't get a bump from neighbouring countries. There's been times when Ireland hasn't gone through from semis and equal or poorer songs have.

Back