European holiday next to beach

henry

Looking for some ideas for a sun holiday in June. There will be two adults and two kids - a 4 year old and an 18 month old.

The criteria are:
- accomodation next to a beach (not 10 min walk away)
- kids club for 4 year old
- maximum flight time 3 hours from Cork
- ideally village or small town within walking distance for eating at night etc.
- ideally a two bed apartment rather than a hotel

Can be a package holiday or can book flights/accomodation separately.

Anyone have suggestions that satisfy these criteria ?

This is a copy of my response to another enquiry recently. I´m slow to recommend individual locations/hotels - that´s down to individual taste. I holidayed a lot on the Costa del Sol - now I live here!! Most of what you find in the brochures, 3 star or better, are pretty ok. Try an apartment rather than hotel - and just book accomodation - you´ll end up dining out and just snacking in the apartment. Also, food not great in Spanish tourist hotels.

"Real advantage of booking hotel/apartment is the kids will be kept amused if there is a club for them. And be careful when comparing cost of a package holiday with putting a package together yourself. I have seen many people who thought they could do it very cheaply by booking their own flights and renting an apartment privately but if you do not want the hassle of a car this can result in huge taxi costs. Don´t believe a word of what you read in ads for private apartments/villas - 5mins to the beach usually means a 15 minute drive breaking all speed limits on the way. I would generally only consider this option for someplace I know really well - but if you do decide to go this route, get a villa - in Spain, for example, most of the apartments for private rental are in complexes that are semi-residential - often with elderly permanent residents who can´t stand the presence of kids. Believe me , I live here and moved apartment last year because of the carry-on ( of the residents, not the kids!!!) "

I agree with much of what Bandit says. However, I lived in southern Spain too, although in Costa Almeria. Any holiday home owner worth his salt would not give false advertising e.g saying the holiday home is five minutes walk from the beach where the true situation is 15 minutes. People are too discerning nowadays to accept lies and ultimately will seek some form of compensation. Holiday Home owners need repeat business and this is achieved by telling the full truth always and keeping the rent charge at a reasonable rate.

Consider the following:- The nearest beach is one minute walk from the holiday home, but it is subject to currents and is dangerous. An apartment owner could truthfully say that the nearest beach is within 5 minutes walk, but not supply the danger possibility (hardly, telling the whole truth?).

Whenever I live in Spain, I enjoy meeting holiday makers on our apartment complex. I have no problem sharing a bottle of wine at lunchtime with anybody (You can buy wine from .50 cent per bottle). OK, save me from the loud apes who insist on singing "You'll never beat the Irish" at the top of their voices at 3.00am while getting sick into the swimming pool.

Now, back to Henry's dilemma. I would think that a privately booked apartment, car rental, low-cost airline flights would be the way to go. Furthermore, I think it is the cheapest option and has the most positives going for it. Privately booked accommodation is usually better than your normal package holiday. Washing machine, television, hairdryer, sunbeds, parasols, bar-b-que, patio furniture, books, DVD etc are provided and at no extra cost. Privately owned complexes are smaller and everybody enjoys the pool which seldom if ever would become overcrowded.

Kids Club:- If this is a must, then the package holiday is the way to go. Personally, I don't see much in favour of these Kiddies Clubs (but, I am willing to concede that I don't know much about them). But, most Spanish resorts provide free childrens play areas, in fact they put us to shame for what we have to offer generally in Ireland.

Mojacar Playa is an ideal family holiday location and if a package is required then Falcon Holidays serve it from Dublin, Cork and Shannon. If booking a package, I would suggest ringing the hotel/apartments in advance and seeking accommodation as far as possible distant from the loud pop bands. These places would have kiddies clubs, large swimming pools and huge play areas.

Back