EU Deposit Interest - Revenue Reporting

so basically the only tax you should be paying is dirt at 33% once the savings you earn is less than 5000euro

Does anyone know if its in sterling as with lightyear is it 33% for eu tax as lightyear has Estonian licence or is it the higher dirt rate as non eu currency?

Still being handled incorrectly - confirmed submitted on PAYE myaccount online as eu deposit interest, and they processed it as “other foreign income” subjecting to PAYE and USC

Last edited:
Still being handled incorrectly - confirmed submitted on form 11 as eu deposit interest, and they processed it as “other foreign income” subjecting to PAYE and USC
Just checking, Form 11 or Form 12? I thought the problem was limited to Form 12.

When I was testing my Form 11 it was calculating for me DIRT(+PRSI).

Just checking, Form 11 or Form 12? I thought the problem was limited to Form 12.

When I was testing my Form 11 it was calculating for me DIRT(+PRSI).
PAYE Services “review your tax” which then submits a request for statement of liability. Clearly shows as eu deposit interest, they processed it, statement of liability included it as other foreign income charging PAYE, USC

If one earns under 5,000 non PAYE income but also has to file a form 11 - do they have to pay an additional 4% tax for PRSI on this income vs a form 12 user?

If so, why is this the case? How is that fair that you get a headache inducing form every year and also are taxed higher for that privilege?

If one earns under 5,000 non PAYE income but also has to file a form 11 - do they have to pay an additional 4% tax for PRSI on this income vs a form 12 user?

If so, why is this the case? How is that fair that you get a headache inducing form every year and also are taxed higher for that privilege?
Yes, if declaring EU deposit interest on Form 11, you will be charged 4% PRSI. You would also be charged 4% PRSI on any Irish deposit interest. Not an issue for the last few years as there was no Irish deposit interest. But now the Irish banks are offering something. You're meant to declare it in Form 11, even though the DIRT has already been paid. But you will still have to pay the PRSI.

No idea why this is the case on Form 11, but not on Form 12. Search the forum for some explanations as to why it might be the case.

Yes, if declaring EU deposit interest on Form 11, you will be charged 4% PRSI. You would also be charged 4% PRSI on any Irish deposit interest. Not an issue for the last few years as there was no Irish deposit interest. But now the Irish banks are offering something. You're meant to declare it in Form 11, even though the DIRT has already been paid. But you will still have to pay the PRSI.

No idea why this is the case on Form 11, but not on Form 12. Search the forum for some explanations as to why it might be the case.

As shown in the link that @Corola posted here, Revenue say this:

PAYE tax payers who are not considered 'chargeable persons' by Revenue are not liable for the new PRSI charge. A person is not a 'chargeable person' if their income from non-PAYE sources is less than €5,000 and this income is taxed under the PAYE system.

Note the coloured text.

This suggests to me that if you are a Form 12 / My Account submitter, you pay your DIRT tax (where it wasn't deducted at source) via adjustments to the PAYE bands/credits.

But if you submit a Form 11, you pay at that time (with preliminary tax due the previous October) - and not via the PAYE system.

Hence the extra charge for PRSI there.

Personally, having been through the Form 11 pain once, it's not too bad once you are registered. And it's nice to be able to see the immediate outcome of calculations, and pay your liability there and then. Not keen on the tax being recouped through PAYE band adjustments.

Last edited:
now revenue has removed the option to declare 'EU Deposit Interest' in my account. where should this be declared instead?
Ok.. so wondering is that a positive move. I explained the whole saga to lovely person on phone. Explained about N26, raisin, trade republic.. all the options for saving now. Really broke it down. Explained how EU deposit accounts are common now and will become more so.. and she checked revenue herself and agreed that there was an issue. She said, new scenario, so what they call 'ingredients' is now not there on the my account option but there for form 12.

Back