Estimated meter readings at a time of price increases.

TrundleAlong

I have been getting estimated gas and electricity bills for some time now.

There has been an increase in energy prices recently.

I have noticed that when I get my bill, the large portion of my estimated usage is at the new higher price. My bill is broken down in two parts. Priced at the new rate and at the old rate.

If companies are going to increase prices should they not read our meters before doing so rather than sending us estimated bills.

I know that I can send in my meter reading but I think the practice of estimating gas and electricity usage when prices are increasing, should entail a meter reading.

You've answered your own question - send in the reading yourself.
If you require them to read your meter every month/2 months, then the cost of supply will also increase to cover that cost.
Is there a specific reason why you haven't submitted your own readings?

You could be on to something here. We should overstate the numbers now and get it at todays price. Then when they go up again next year say you give them the right numbers and get credit for a while. Nothing can go wrong ;)

Sure I've been doing that for years! (Mainly because I really enjoy improving my supplier's cash flow!) :p
Just about the only thing that might go wrong is that the meter reader might turn up the next day and send in a smaller reading! Mind you, I'd be gutted if I sent in an inflated reading only for my house to burn down next day!

That happened me! When I heard flogas were putting up prices I gave a false reading, maybe 200 units in advance. A few days later the guy called to read the meter! Normally I see him once or twice a year. I explained it to him & he said if you don't want me to take a reading I won't, and went on his way.

Back