estate agents fees

H

hatuey

Sherry Fitzgerald, who used to charge 1.5pc fees, quoted me 0.75pc on a recent valuation. Gunnes tried to charge 1.25pc then came down to 1pc and then matched Sherrys. What is the going rate for estate agents fees?? Is there a price war? And is it easing off now that the market is going dead?

I just got 3 quotes to sell a 4 bed semi in Navan - 1%; 1.1% and 1.25%. All included advertising on at least 2 websites and in the local rag.

very surprised there hasn't been more discussion on here about Sherry Fitzgeralds recent increase in their fees - from 1% to 1.5%. Surely they're not going on a solo run here and it will only be a matter of time before the other estate agents follow suit? If not, who would bother using them? Are they that much better than the other EAs? New slogan required - the EA you'd recommend to someone with more money than sense?

i recently had our place valued by DNG and they were charging me a whopping 2.5% fee, excluding tax and cost of sign!

I think the increase charged by sherry fitz is disgraceful and yet so typical. The first hint of a go slow, and they want to add extra to their already bulging bank a/cs.

Two years ago I interviewed a lot of agants about the sale of some land the normal fee then was 1.5%. I do think we should all follow Eddie Hobbs advice and they will soon have to drop their fees. As far as I can see they had it easy for the last while with houses more of less selling themselves now the slightest hic cup and up go the fees the rest of us can't just up our wages like that (if only). They should have been saving for the rainy day as my granny always told me to do. (of course I didn't listen to her)

i don't know what the fuss is about.. the folks sold their house 6 months ago and sherry fitz took 1.5% plus vat from them AND 700 euro's for advertising..
so it looks like the Cork people were being screwd all along

very surprised there hasn't been more discussion on here about Sherry Fitzgeralds recent increase in their fees - from 1% to 1.5%. Surely they're not going on a solo run here and it will only be a matter of time before the other estate agents follow suit? If not, who would bother using them? Are they that much better than the other EAs? New slogan required - the EA you'd recommend to someone with more money than sense?

I would be amazed if this increase was written in stone - the auctioneering business is characterized by numerous providers of a service ie there is intense competition among the firms to get our business. To get this increase SF would have to be perceived as being a better service provider than other auctioneering firms, and so can charge more, or depend on consumer ignorance about auctioneering fees in general and thus get away with charging more. In my own personal dealings with SF linked auctioneers in the south east I have found them to be broadly on a par with other auctioneering firms but I wouldn't be prepared to pay them a higher price for their services but I might well go to them if they lowered their price. In Economics the auctioneering business, because of it's characteristics, would be classed as an " imperfectly cometitive market ". To increase total revenue ( sales ) in such a market economic theory would suggest the lowering of the price of services and I would concur with that view! Perhaps Mark Fitzgerald should have gotten an Economics lesson from his father or brother before he made his changes to fees :D.

Its a joke that they are just allowed to up their fees like that in market that is very sensitive. I hope no one goes to them and the lose out on loadsa business, they deserve that for being greedy. Shop around as the saying goes (for mroe services than that one too)

Its a joke that they are just allowed to up their fees like that in market that is very sensitive.

But it's a free market so they can do what they like. However they are unlikely to get away with it if punters don't give them their business and they won't unless Sherry Fitz. are perceived as being streets ahead of the competition or consumers are ignorant as to auctioneering fees generally.

I think its perfectly reasonable for them to up their fees if they have much more properties on their books that aren't shifting. Where's the incentive for them to take your house on if they already have similar houses that aren't selling?

Well if they have more properties that arent shifting then they should take their fingers out and start working that little bit harder. I see your point but its just blatant greed. It'll hit them where it hurts hopefully.

Back