Estate Agent Charge /Query

M

Marro

I had my property on the market with an estate agent, but decided to take it off. The estate agent wants to charge me over 300Euro for advertising charges, etc.

I don't want to pay it as it has come as a suprise and it is undeserved in my opinion. Does anyone know who I should contact or have any experience in this area?

Thanks

That is pretty standard. You engaged the estate agent and they paid for
advertising on your behalf, why should you not pay for it ?

What is their commission if they do sell your house ?. Tell them that if they sell it for you, that the advertising fees come out of their commission. It is reasonable that you should pay up front for advertising ... in case you sell it through other means.

What is their commission if they do sell your house ?. Tell them that if they sell it for you, that the advertising fees come out of their commission. It is reasonable that you should pay up front for advertising ... in case you sell it through other means.
You seem to be contradicting yourself there. Anyway the point is that the house is off the market so it seems reasonable that the EA is paid for expenses incurred to date.

Happened to my brother and he refused to pay as it was not agreed at the start (sherry fitz) heard nothing else about it . two years ago . but maybe their finding it hard to pay the bills now , and chasing down these charges.wouldnt pay unless you signed something with these penalties for withdrawing the sale are clearly set out ,which you might have.

why do you think it fair not to pay, they have paid these expences for you, they should not be left out of pocket now that you have changed your mind

It is only fair that you should pay the expenses. These are costs that the estate agent had to cover, how do you see them as 'undeserved'? Why should the estate agent be at a loss because you decided to take your house off the market?

if you think the estate agent gave you an exaggerated estimate of what you would get for the house in order to win your business and then they didn't manage to sell it then why should you pay them. If you had some buyer interest but didn't give them a reasonable time to sell your house then get receipts for the expenses and reimburse them.

Can't see the problem myself unless you have another issue with the Estate Agents. You requested a service, were provided with it and now should pay for it. if you don't agree with the costs then get a breakdown and argue the points with them then. If you recruited them but before they did anything decided not to sell then you could argue that but sounds like they did actually do work for you.

I had an ES that supposedly sold my place and got left down last minute by one of his clients. Pulled house off him and got somebody else to sell it. Paid new ES but other guy got his chance to sell it but was unable. First guy had it for 4 months ,new guy 4 weeks! Old ES now looking for expenses. If he did what he was asked to do I would pay him but if I stuck with him I would be still selling today. Lost a house too at the time due to fall through in sale. What is the legal standing on this?

If they incurred expenses on your behalf (e.g. web/press/sign advertising) they are more than likely to recoup them. You should have got something in writing from the EA when you asked them to put your house on the market-this will set out their terms.

Back