esb

S

setanta

I promised ( MAC ) last Sept ( as CU )that I would return to this subject when I had used it a few months. Last August I totally overhauled my oil fired home heating system. Plumber cleaned out every radiator individually, replaced the immersion tank ( old one clogged up) removed the header tank in the attic and installed a pressurised system, directly off the mains. I was crucified with esb bills and not getting any hot water off my 'old' heating system. anway after 6 months the following is my esb unit readings

oct 03 1566 units oct 04 1200 units
dec 03 1732 units dec 04 1212 units
Feb 04 1979 units feby 05 1256 units

the plumber between parts and labour charged €1100 and I was hoping to recoup this over 4 years. Might be on target.
cheers

Hi setanta,
excellent info. Have you been able to determine whether youre using less oil since the overhaul thus increasing the saving?
Also, can you give a cash value on the less electrical units being used?
(sorry for prying but watching Eddie H on rte while typing and am feeling frugal :) )

ESB Costs

Gee Gee had asked a similar question in the Breadmakers section. ESB Cost is 13.85 cent per unit (since January). The difference in units between the two time periods is 1608, which gives approx 222 euro.

Might be a good idea in some forum to look at running costs of various appliances / systems.

Competition in the domestic supply market

When is the Irish residential supply market due to be opened up to competition ? I thought it was supposed to be Spring 2005, but I haven’t seen anything in the papers.

Hopefully, a little bit of competition should see prices charged to end consumers substantially reduced.

Re: Competition in the domestic supply market

in might be of interest in the context of this discussion.

Jaysus, just look at the rapid rises in recent years !

Just proves that it's beyond time to open the domestic supply market to competition

Jaysus, just look at the rapid rises in recent years !

You should probably read some of the caveats/additional information and perhaps more of the topic in question before jumping to conclusions.

Your first link in your post doesn't refer to these caveats.

Leaving that aside, I still think its a very high increase, even if you don't pay your bills when they are due.

Why isn't there an outcry against monopoly State monoliths in the utility sector still having a stranglehold over Irish consumers ? The UK have had deregulation for years with the result that energy prices are lower, and suppliers are kept on thier toes.

I will concede that there are still instances of mis-selling occurring, but the industry now has [broken link removed] to deal with this when it occurs.

Your first link in your post doesn't refer to these caveats.

I know - that's why added them in the course of the discussion. I do my best to comprehensively cover all issues in my posts in one go but I am fallible... :\

I still think its a very high increase, even if you don't pay your bills when they are due.

I would like to smooth the graph by factoring in inflation to see how that affects things first before jumping to any conclusions. Maybe I'll get a chance to do that sooner rather than later. I was just wondering if another factor could be decade old storage heaters and immersion (our larges loads by far) working less efficiently than when they were new? We're not in a hard water area so I guess the immersion element might be OK? Not sure what, if any, regular maintenance of storage heaters is advisable...

Why isn't there an outcry against monopoly State monoliths in the utility sector still having a stranglehold over Irish consumers ?

Isn't the Irish electricity technically whatever about the choices for retail customers being limited (or non existent?)?

I will concede that there are still instances of mis-selling occurring,

Can you expand on that point?

Take a close look at the oasis link you have given, and you will see that domestic supply is still the sole remit of the ESB.

Car: Apologies for not coming back earlier. The biggest 'downside' of this pressurised heating system is no dual heating any longer. First thing the plumber did was cut off the back boiler. we don't light many fires, a few days at Christmas and a few weekends up to maybe Easter then thats it until next time. But all we do now is heat steel. So some loss there. I would love to be able to say that I am saving on oil but I honestly don't know. Last year I spent a total of €920 on oil and €1260 on esb.so far this year €290 on oil. Reason is ( here comes Rainyday on the horse) I live in a border area and have to cross through South Armagh twice daily, so I buy my oil in SA. The price last week was 35.9 cents a litre so for €45 , you get about 124 litres. This is usually the amount I can carry at a time. the price goes up and down faster than a whore's drawers , the dearest this year was 40.9c and the cheapest 33.9c. Last year it peaked at around 36c and was as low as 25c. Coultn't help noticing a lot of people filling up on heating oil as I came home tonight (but I had no drums with me) so its probably going up soon. back to esb. I got my february bill today.lots of info on their increases etc but what I can make out is that the standing charges have increased by 32.9% and the pso charge by just under 32%. Nice for somebody. I am not making significant savings yet - but at least there is no massive increase. last year the 3 bills for oct, dec and feb came to €633 this year €529. but at least its in the right direction.
cheers

previously setanta: April meter reading yesterday 1018 units for mar/apr
last year estimated 1500 by esb which was 300 approx shy of the real figure.
I didnt catch up until much later in the year.last years esb april bill was exactly €200 didnt get this years yet but it will be less even with the hugh rises esb have secured in the past year. Last post on this. cheers

Back