ESB Solicitor Letter

idonno-1

I made the big switch from ESB (in my name) to Bord Gas Electricity (in my husbands name) back in 2009 when it first came about. I have always paid any bills I receive as soon as I can as I hate having bills hanging over me. Just recently ESB contacted me to say there was a balance of €113 owing on my account from 2009. But, I never received this invoice or any reminders or statements to say this was owing. How can they do this after all that time? I can't prove it was paid as I have no receipts as I only keep them for a year or so. But, i truly believe I don't owe this. I contacted them and they didn't want to hear what I had to say and then I got a letter from a solicitor saying legal action will commence if I don' pay the bill. Do I have to pay this or is there anything I can do?

Ask for a copy of the bill - then you can check the meter reading against the meter reading fromn Bord Gas.

How did you pay it ? If from a bank account, then sureley the bank could supply a statement showing the payment?

If cash, then obviously, it will be difficult to prove that you paid the bill.

Just a thought - Did you give an actual reading for the change over? Maybe this is an issue around estimations.
Anyways, make a data protection or freedom of information request to the ESB and see what the file indicates

I always pay cash but I no longer have the receipts from 2009.

I never took a reading at the time. I just thought you make the switch and that was it

I always pay cash but I no longer have the receipts from 2009.

I never took a reading at the time. I just thought you make the switch and that was it

There sounds like there was a period of time in which the ESB supplied electricity to you before your new provider kicked in. I remember it took 2 - 3 weeks after I had made an application before my new provider took over the billing.

would there not be a 'minimum period' where they can contact you for this, as you say this is the first contact about a bill thats over a year old!

Back