ESB & Data Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

extramild

Hi folks,

First time poster here

I read in today Indo that local councils are going to use ESB data to target householders who have not paid the charge

independent.ie/national-news/letter-plan-to-target-household-tax-dodger

Has anyone complained to the Data Protection Commissioner about this as it would seem to me to be a breach of what I signed up for when I joined the ESB?

Regards

Extramild

Hi Extramild. Yes, it has been debated but I think the catch is section 8(b) of the Data Protection Acts(1988-2003) which states that the restrictions on processing do not apply if the processing is:-
(b) required for the ...assessing or collecting any tax...owed or payable to the State...in any case where the application of those restrictions would be likely to prejudice any of the matters aforesaid,

In addition, big Phil is rushing through legislation to make it even more legal!!

I keep hearing about this but just because your name is on an ESB bill, how does that mean that you are the owner of a property? My sister rents and apartment and her name is on the electricity bill but she is not the owner.

Don't understand how they will use this information....can anyone explain?

Personally I feel if there is a charge it should be applied to all households regardless of status rented, council or owned. A council tax. The logic being that everyone uses the services.
Then waivers can be applied based on need, means, financial hardship, etc. Seem to me fairer all round where some relatively high income households can escape because they don't own and others who are financially strapped are hit with this charge.
Then I suppose Electric Ireland (ESB) or electricity supplier could be the port of call.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back