ESB bill very high - need to confirm correct

olivia

Our 2 monthly ESB bill is significantly higher then comparative households and I want to pin down where we are using the electricity. MY husband feels it might have to do with the fact that all our rooms have recessed lights (in house when we bought it) and he feels these lights are high users. We have an integrated fridge and the door doesnt seal properly so I feel we might be losing some there but probably noe very much. Is there anywhere I can check with the 'leakage' (if there is one ) is?

OLivia

Charges are as follows:
Light 100w Bulb1 Unit for 10 Hours useLight 20w Bulb1 Unit for 50 Hours useLight 40w Bulb1 Unit for 20 Hours useLight Fluorescent 40w1 Unit per 20 Hours Use
Refrigerator1 Unit per 24 Hours use

I rang the ESB and they provided me with a complete year - this info is about 1 year old.

Our 2 monthly ESB bill is significantly higher then comparative households and I want to pin down where we are using the electricity. MY husband feels it might have to do with the fact that all our rooms have recessed lights (in house when we bought it) and he feels these lights are high users. We have an integrated fridge and the door doesnt seal properly so I feel we might be losing some there but probably noe very much. Is there anywhere I can check with the 'leakage' (if there is one ) is?

OLivia

You could start first by turning everything in the house off. Then check that the meter has come to a stop.

Then one by one turn back on your essentials, fridge, freezer, heating, etc. Monitor the speed at which your meter is running. There may be something that is using a lot of electricity.

Do you have you immersion on? Dish washer? Light switches without bulbs are still using electricity. Do you turn the main switch for your cooker off when you are not using it?

Just out of interest, what size house do you have and what is your average bill amount?

If you think it is all the recessed lights causing the problem i seen a company at one of the home shows selling L.E.D bulbs which are the same as the bulbs you have already but are more energy efficient
i think they were called "Surface power"

I second Huskerdo. The dryer and having the emersion on are really hard on electricity and of course any electrical heating equipment.

Back