Erasmus Year

phoenix53

Hi

I'm not sure if I have posted in the correct thread or not.

I'm looking for some information on the Erasmus year offered to University students.

My daughter is doing a 3 year business course and applied and was accepted for an Erasmus year in Holland.

Not having been to Uni myself, I would like to understand more about it.

While a year in a foreign country is not part of her degree course, nor is she going on a work placement, I don't understand what the benefit is academically. Does there need to be one? Is it enough to be able to say I've done my degree and had an Erasmus year?

After the two years that have just passed, I think it will be great for her to get away, get some independence and experience a new way of life. She currently lives at home while her first year in college was from the attic and the second year has them going in on a three day week.

Really just trying to expand my own knowledge on the topic.

If anyone has any pointers or experience of completing an Erasmus year that did not count towards your degree, I would love to hear your thoughts.

Thank you

Not sure re the academics as my semester counted, but I wholeheartedly encourage anyone w ho can to do Erasmus. It's such a wonderful way to travel & meet new people. It's usually very well supported in terms of accomodation. And the best bit now is if she's homesick or has an event at home, it's usually possible to return for a weekend...in my day it was pre cheap flights so once you were gone you were gone. I'm definitely encouraging my kids to do it, and I'm already looking forward to visiting them there! I chose my university as I could do both work experience & Erasmus and both of them were fantastic experiences of living abroad, all organised easily.

In terms of whether it's important or not, it shows maturity and a sense of adventure to be able to travel and settle in a new place. Even a talking point in an interview! And also if she is able to learn some of the language even better, maybe even take on some part time work.

As others have said it’s a great experience, that (in my day anyway) made you stand out from those who didn’t have it as part of their degree experience. Netherlands is a good base to travel to other European cities/countries that she hasn’t been to.

I’d advise joining Aiesec or equivalent group at the college, it attracts both international and local students, who organise events from networking and social events to twin weeks with other colleges. Unless you’re very outgoing, it can be hard to make friends without joining some student clubs, and too easy to stick with any Irish students you already know.

Great if she could pick up some Dutch whiles she is there, but that will require a lot more effort on her part than if she was in say Paris (the Dutch are proud of their language skills and will speak English unless she insists otherwise). If the grades dont count, plenty of time for part time work.

i was also living at home while in college, so lots of skills learnt from fending for yourself, money managment, dealing with landlords & flatmates, overcoming homesickness etc - great for building resilience.

Our son is currently on Erasmus in Spain, he is there since late August, and returning in mid June. He is doing languages, so this was perhaps more relevant, but would recommend it for anyone.

I could not praise the programme enough, but the main thing, is they get great life experiences. For 1st semister, he was in a 5 bedroomed house, all nationalities. That was a good move as it was a good mix of people. 2nd semister he moved in with 2 Italians he became friends with, and is getting on very well.

It is not easy for them having lectures in a foreign language, but thats the whole point, to totally immerse them into the language and culture. I think its really good for them, as its challenging, and gives them experience, you just can’t learn, you have to live it. But then there is the travel, he’s been on multiple trips across Europe, and a gang of them have hired cars and explored Northern Spain. He is fairly outgoing, so had no fears really.

We went out in late September for a few nights, and at that early stage, he was well able to speak fluently, in shops, cafes & restaurants. He was home for 10 days at Christmas, and we go out again in late April.

There is also a handy EU grant which has more than covered, his full acomadation costs. I’d definitely advise, they work for the summer before they go, which he did, so they have savings, and helps appreciate the costs etc.

He does miss home, and also good to see the simple things he misses(or perhaps took for granted !), but is also having a good time, and having a unique life experience.

Highly recommended.

Many courses in which students can avail of an Erasmus year provide for a differently-denominated degree to those students, since they are effectively adding a year to their degree. For example, at UCD, students on the Arts degree who take an Erasmus year may be awarded a "BA International" degree, which makes clear that they've done a year abroad. Commerce at UCD has whole denominated-entry degrees that differ from the ordinary BComm in that they explicitly have an international component in concert with the School of Languages. Students do their third year on Erasmus and get a BComm Int'l degree, which may be helpful/distinctive for employment purposes.

Just an update and observations. She spent the academic year in Arnhem in the Nederlands and had a ball. Came home last May and is now in the final year of her degree.

She was the only one in her year that went on Erasmus. No regrets. Has settled back into final year more mature and eager to finish.

Academically, she was exposed to subjects that she would never have thought of taking on. She took on Dutch cultural studies and passed, took on Dutch oral language and failed. But do you know what, it didn't matter. She still took it on knowing that languages were not her thing but wanted to challenge herself. She has enough words to get by and has gained a real love of all things Dutch. She was able to do extra work and sit papers that allowed her finish with an overall pass to the Erasmus year.

Her accommodation was subsidised with the exception of two months. She's been working part time since she was 17 and so had money saved for her social life and extras. She chose not to work over there but a few Irish friends she made while there, did so. They worked in bars and restaurants. We helped out with food and some flights home for Christmas etc

Her friendship group has grown to cover people from all continents. She has been on trips to Albania, Bulgaria, Germany etc staying with new found friends and experiencing life from a locals perspective. Soon she is heading off to catch up with friends still in Arnhem and off to Prague for Easter. All funded by her part time job.

We also benefited from visiting her and heading off ourselves into Germany, Luxembourg and Belgium as a result.

Since being back she has attended interviews for graduate programmes and found the Erasmus a great topic to discuss. She felt it helped employers remember her. She was offered 6 out of 7 interviews, so maybe she was right.

Her room is still a mess. She still has attitude. She is hungry to get out there and see the world and visit friends in America, Australia, Norway, Italy...when she can afford it.

It was a great year for all of us.

Back