EPA guidlines for building on sites that fail perculation

Shooter

Hi Guys

We just put down deposit last june on a site and had to apply to council to disregard a condition which stated that the original applicant for the outline planning had to build to house.

We were were asking coucil if we could build there on the basis that both our home places are within 3 mile of the site. It took the council close to 3 months to reply to the letter.

We were happy they gave us the go ahead but now the site has failed perculation test and according to the council website from Jan 8 on they are impolying the new EPA rules which mean that a failed perculation means no house basically.

This is very annoying considering if they had replyed to us with in a couple of weeks we would have got our planning sent in December.

Has anyone any advice. Is there anyway around these new regulations. Sorry for the long winded story:)

Hi Shooter.

I don't understand the first sentence:

"We ...had to apply to council to disregard a condition which stated that the original applicant for the outline planning had to build to house."

I assume the previous outline permission included a permission such that the development could only go ahead if the percolation test result was okay.

I advise you to retain a competent engineer and talk to these people http://www.biocycle.ie/
The engineer can advise you on compliance requirements and negotiate with the Council on your behalf.
The Biocycle System is one of the best available for domestic situations and they have useful updates on their website.

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

All advice on AAM is remote from the situation and cannot be relied upon as a defence or support - in and of itself - should legal action be taken.
Competent persons should be asked to advise in Real Life with rights to inspect and issue reports on the matters at hand.
My best advice is that you should retain a competent building professional to advise you on these matters.

thanks onq. There was a condition on the outline planning that the farmer who applied for it had to be the one to build the house and it had to be for himself or for a member of his family. He wanted to sell the site so we had to approach the council to relax that condition if possible. Thanks for the advice

thanks onq. There was a condition on the outline planning that the farmer who applied for it had to be the one to build the house and it had to be for himself or for a member of his family. He wanted to sell the site so we had to approach the council to relax that condition if possible. Thanks for the advice

Ah, thanks for that.

I thought it meant you had to be two [to] houses! :)

Am I to take it that you were successful in getting the Council to agree to a change?

I've read about people in dire straights limited from selling by haing to live there for, say, 5 or 10 years.

It might be useful for them to know that in some ways Councils may choose to be reasonable in relatinon to a condition along similar lines.

ONQ.

Back