Entitlements during and after pregnancy.

TX1

Hi, any info would be much appreciated. I feel guilty relying on you good folk to hopefully enlighten me but i seem to be going round in circles. My wife was granted a visa after our marriage and she has been here since Dec 2012. She is not working as of yet as she was only initially granted permission to remain and in February this year was granted a visa allowing her to work. She has been looking for work but we found out today she is pregnant (15 months of trying!!!)

We have not applied for benefits i.e jsb or jsa as from what i can make out due to me earning 30,000 pa she would only be entitled to 80 pw i.e 60% of the difference between my earnings and the benefit rate. I was worried her going on social welfare for 80 pw was not worth it as we were managing ok without it. But now with a baby in tow i am not sure if my earnings can provide sufficiently. I dont understand the meaning of qualified adult but imagine as im working this can not be factored in. Can i apply for FIS when baby is born and can she apply for anything to tie us over til she finds employment after pregnancy as her younger sister will be employed by us as a live in nanny.

Any help appreciated

Thanks

So after tax my pay is 420pw.
Deduct 3 days @ 20 = 360
60% of 360 = 216
Meaning her jobseekers would be 72pw - correct?
Any other benefits or is that pushing it???

You can't deduct tax paid - see the list of deductions allowed from gross pay in the second of the links posted above (under the heading "calculating means from work").

so she would get nowt so. my wage will have to suffice for the 3 of us so. thx for the links etc

Back