Entitlement to Tax Refund from UK?

LouthLass

Hi,

Hope I have posted this in the right forum! I lived and worked in the UK for just over 10 years and I am wondering if I would be entitled to any form of tax rebate from the UK Revenue for the amount of taxes I have paid during this time. I have left the UK and returned to Ireland to live and work but during my time in the UK I worked full time and paid all the relevant taxes etc (only claimed social welfare in 2 months in my time of living there). I also have a pension from the UK civil service which I paid into for the past 6 years. I have looked at the HMRC website but am unable to find the conditions under which entitlement (if any!) I may be am eligible for? Does anyone know if it is possible to reclaim national insurance contributions etc. I note that the UK revenue do repay taxes to people leaving the UK but am unsure if this could apply to me - any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

When did you move back to Ireland? By the sounds of it you may be entitled to some small relief but I'd imagine only for the year you left........

All I know is you'd be eligible to reclaim overpaid tax. For example, an individual works for the first six months of the tax year (April-Mar) and then leaves the country. Their wages would have been taxed weekly/monthly on the basis that they were going to be paying for the full tax year. As they have left half way through the year, they most likely have overpaid.

There is a form P85 which is to be completed to reclaim and P45 from last job is needed. the non-residents FAQs page from HMRC.

For non-resident tax questions contact: +44 151 210 2222
For non-UK resident Nation Insurance questions contact +44 191 203 7010

You wouldn't get NI contributions paid back I don't think. You may get NI entitlements transferred. For instance, when I first arrived, I was entitled to claim Jobseekers' Allowance as I was from the UK. Payment was delayed until they had confirmation of my NI position from the UK.

It took me 3 months to get my tax back, but most of the delay was because I had no P45 as my former employer hadn't issued me with it upon leaving.

HTH,
Rich

(I'm not qualified to give advice, but have generally found the HMRC helpful if you ask them for an answer to a particular tax situation)

Many thanks Rich, I left in March 08 (end of tax year) so I'm not anticipating a huge rebate if any. The info you provided is very useful though and I will contact HMRC to confirm my position.

Back