Engineers report- who pays for repairs

BK2

Hi,

I am selling my apartment at the moment and the purchaser got an Engineer report. The report says that there was discolouration on the roof and he recommends a certified plumber inspect the apartment above to insure there are no leaks. He has also stated that a painter seal a crack on the exterior wall (very small) and that a drains test be carried out. This property is only 5 months old and I have never seen a leak so am not sure why there is discolouring.

Who is responsible for paying do I have to get a plumber, painter and drains test done or should the purchaser arrange this. I have rang the builder and told them to go into apartment above me re; leak and I think that it should suffice that they confirm there has been no leak.

Should the purchaser pay? They have simply sent the report to my Solicitor and have just asked that I suggest what to do about it.

Should the purchaser pay? They have simply sent the report to my Solicitor and have just asked that I suggest what to do about it.

Yes, that is the normal course of events. They can look for money off the agreed price, but it is only mickymouse stuff they have come up with. They have to justyify their existance, you should see a report for a period house!

However it is getting hard to offload property, so if you think they are going to kick up a fuss when you may want to look at getting the builder to look at the problems, after all the property is only 5 months old

Towger.

This is often used as a tactic by purchasers to seeks a reduction in price. The property is only 5 months old and the faults are minor so it is not anything to worry about. There is usually a clause in the contract stating that the purchasers is buying the property in its present plight and condition. Check that your solicitor has a similar condition in the Contract. If you feel it would put the purchasers off and there are no other interested parties then by all means get the work done but if you feel it is an attempt to get money off after the property has gone sale agreed then I would tell them it is up to them to sort it out themselves if they choose once the sale has gone through.

Back