Engineer costs for preliminary inspection

elainem

Hi! I got the name of an engineer through recommendation to survey a house I want to renovate. He said the charge was e610 including VAT. As Irish Water have reason to believe there is a leak in the property - they think between the garden gate and the front door - but it may be in the house - the engineer has suggested pressure testing the pipes. Also one of the drains in the garden gets blocked about twice a year - and the engineer wants to get someone to put a camera down. Each of these services - pressure testing and camera down the drains costs e200 plus VAT. He also states that each of his visits is e150 plus VAT. He wants the e610 for the preliminary survey upfront.

I am wary of getting another preliminary survey done. When I got a preliminary survey done in 2004 when I bought the house - the engineer said there was nothing wrong with the house - yet the fuse board was new but the wiring was old and the fuse board was not, as discovered later, quite entirely correctly fitted by the previous owner. Also the previous owner had installed the heating and made many errors including a dangerous back boiler. So I suppose I am saying what is the benefit of another preliminary survey - it feels like more money down the drain. Do I just go ahead with quotes from a builder? Should I have an engineer? Are these engineer costs ok?

Thanks.

Get detailed quotes from at least three detailing exactly what is, and more importantly, what is not covered.

Issues such as wiring and plumbing leaks are not covered under standard surveys.

Back